H.R.992 - James Madison Memorial Commission Act of 2009Submitted by Galileo on Mon, 09/21/2009 - 02:10
H.R.992 - James Madison Memorial Commission Act of 2009
[YOUR ACTION IS NEEDED!]
To establish the James Madison Memorial Commission to develop a plan of action for the establishment and maintenance of a James Madison memorial in Washington, DC, and for other purposes.
SEC. 2. FINDINGS.
Congress finds the following:
(1) President James Madison is often referred to as ‘Father of the Constitution’ for his influence on the Nation’s fundamental laws.
(2) At age 29, James Madison was the youngest delegate at the Continental Congress.
(3) In Congress, Representative James Madison drafted the legislation to enact the Bill of Rights.
(4) President James Madison declared war on Great Britain, igniting the War of 1812.
[note - this is an error, the US congress declared war, as Madison still followed the Constitution at that time]
(5) President James Madison approved the Treaty of Ghent which ended the War of 1812.
[note - this is true, but the US Senate ratified the treaty]
(6) President James Madison was the first United States Congressman to become President.
(7) President James Madison signed a congressional resolution admitting Louisiana to the Union as the eighteenth State on April 30, 1812.
(8) President James Madison signed a congressional resolution admitting Indiana to the Union as the nineteenth State on December 11, 1816.
SEC. 3. ESTABLISHMENT OF COMMISSION.
(a) In General- There is established the James Madison Memorial Commission (hereafter in this Act referred to as the ‘Commission’) to plan for the design and construction of a memorial in Washington, DC to be a tribute to the many accomplishments of James Madison.
Your Co-Sponsorship is requested for HR 992
Sign the Petition : 47 Letters and Emails Sent So Far
The official start of the bi-centennial of the 1809-1817 presidency of James Madison has begun but Congress has yet to take the requisite steps to enable the Nation to mark the occasion.
Accordingly, please join now as a Co-Sponsor of HR 992. This Bill--the James Madison Memorial Commission Act--seeks an appropriate public memorial for this key intellectual figure in the creation of our Nation. Baron Hill needs your support now to implement this legislation. The Nation needs to keep alive the intellectual ideas of its Founders and Madison was--as the "father" of the Constitution and its Bill of Rights--among the greatest of the great. Once you're on board as a Co-Sponsor, please speak with Congressmen Raul M. Grijalva (DEM-AZ-7th)and Rob Bishop (REP-UT-1st) about your interest in HR 992. Following the adoption in 2005 of legislation requiring all Federally funded educational institutions to celebrate Constitution Day, the importance of James Madison and his key role in the creation of the Constitution has grown exponentially. The Public is now increasingly aware that Madison should be memorialized as proposed by HR 992.
Enter Your Name and Submit to Sign
UPDATE FROM THE US CONSTITUTION:
Section 8 - Powers of Congress
"The Congress shall have Power To .... To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;"