Dollar Collapse Preparation Thread: My Low-Budget Steps + What Steps You Have Taken To Prepare?!Submitted by RonPaulio on Wed, 07/21/2010 - 17:33
After following the words of Dr. Paul, Peter Schiff, Marc Faber and Jim Rodgers for a few years now, I feel that I am pretty much 100% jaded towards the near-term and medium term outlook for the United States.
I full-heartedly believe that there is going to be some sort major failure of a financial insitution, U.S. state or sovereign that will cause U.S. Treasury Bill and Bond holders to liquidate their U.S. dollar denominated assets and subsequently create a hyperinflationairy environment in the United States. Living in a hyperinflationairy environment is extremely dangerous and can include a laundry list of unthinkable dangers such as: 1) Gangs of Roaming Looters or Marauders 2) Police/Government Confiscation or Personal Removal 3) Sky-Rocketing Food and Water Prices, Shortages 4) Civil Unrest 5) Foreign Powers Sending Troops Over to Collect on Their Debt, and so many more I can't think of and won't know of until it happens to me. It is because of all of thse reason and more that I have begun to prepare myself and family for the worst.
My story is nothing special but I hope it can give someone some help in preparing themselves. I am a 22 year old Finance/Economics Major at Florida State University who works at a grocery store as a bagboy so it should be obvious that my budget is not exactly huge. I come from a somewhat well-to-do family that completely rode the decades of continuously falling interest rates to wealth and prosperity and is now suffering the needed correction for their recklessness. I have begun to turn their minds to the truth but they still cannot see the cliff in front of them (55 years of unwavering faith in Uncle Sam will do that to you). They help with some of the monetary cost of preparing.
SO FAR, I have amassed a good amount of tools, supplies and information that can and will give me the edge against others when the fated day arrives. This is a short laundry list of things I have done and plan to do in the near future. If I have forgotten anything important PLEASE DO NOT hesitate to tell me. Keep in mind I belong to a family of four adults and possibly more if times get super hard. I have no brothers and my dad is old and out of shape so the responsibiliy will be soley on me. Also remember I bought extra supplies for bardering purposes.
1)FOOD AND WATER STORAGE
- Bought $250-$300 in a very wide variety of canned foods which totals up to around 400+ cans of food with expiration dates around late 2013
- Filled up two 12 gallon emergency water jugs with clean water
- These are stored in inconspicuous blue rubbermaid containers at my parents house back in Jacksonville while I keep about 50 cans of food
2)FIREARMS, AMMUNITION, AND SELF PROTECTION (In order of Purchase)
- Purchased one 9mm handgun and holster (Glock 26), For personal defense outside the home
*I have around 250 9mm rounds (.5 Hollowpoints, .5 FMJ)
- Purchased one 20 gauge shotgun, For personal defense inside the home and bigger game hunting
*I have around 150 shells, a mix of birdshot, target loads and slugs
- Purchased one SuperMark small game pellet gun. For small game hunting such as birds, rabbits and racoons.
*I have two 6000 lead pellet containers
- Purchased one Romanian AK-47 w/Bayonet. For personal defense outside the home
*No ammuntion yet
- Purchased Level IIIa Body Armor (40 S&W and down resistance)
3) FINANCIAL PREPARATIONS
- I was able to convince my parents to invest in gold- In my apartment in Tallahassee, I have around $200 cash along with around $100 in silver coins
4) HOME RELOCATION
- My parents were the poster children for the housing crisis. They built our current house in Jacksonville for the super inflated price of $700,000 back in 2005 and are now completely underwater. Back in January of this year, I convinced them to put their house up on the market while there still is a housing market. They have gotten few offers and are currently negotiating some counteroffers to the few offers we did get. I am currently trying to get them to walk away from this financial hellhole and give it back to the bank the peddled it to us. I have also got them to embrace the idea of self-sustainability and growing our own foods. They are currently looking at rural houses deeper in the Florida countryside.
- I graduate in December and will be returning back to Jacksonville to hopefully a job a the Deutsche Bank investment firm. I expect the housing market to be in even bigger shambles at that point and plan to buy a small and affordable country house to live in AT A FIXED RATE. With this fixed rate being completely eaten away by inflation, it will be quite a steal.
5) MEDICINE AND DENTAL
- 5 bottles of MultiVitamens (500 capsules per bottle)
- 2 First Aid Kits (gause, bandages, etc...)
- 4 Bottles of Medicinal Alcohol
- 10+ bottles of Nyquil/DayQuil/Pepto Bismal/Milanta
- 2 Bottles of Menstral Medicine
- 1 Bottle of Aloe
- 10 toobrushes
- 10 bottles of toothpaste
- 9 bottes of Asprin/Ibuprofen (200 capsules per bottle)
6) MISCELLANEOUS SURVIVAL TOOLS AND BARDER MATERIAL (also stored in Rubbermaid containers at home)
- 5 bottles of preservable wine (white and red)
- 3 Bottles of scotch (Johnny Walker, $25 per bottle)
- 4 Cartons of Cigarettes (2 Newport Menthol, 2 Marlboro)
- 500 batteries (AA,AAA,B,C,DD, 12v, 9v)
- 4 flashlights
- 10 containers of spice mixers ($5 containers of a variety of spices, great trading instruments)
- 100 Nails
- 1 hammer, 1 screwdriver and 2 one gallon gas cans. (This is for extraction of gas from another car's gas tank in times of crisis. Lay under the car and hammer a small hole in the gas tank of a car with the screwdriver and once the gas is flowing from under the car, collect it with the gas cans and your on your way, no siphoning required)
- 1 MapQuest directions home (Tallahassee to Jacksonville) use only back roads and that don't involve major highways
- 1 2000 page book of survival skills and tips called "When Technology Fails" by Matthew Stein. Covers everything from skinning an animal to growing your own crops.
- 2 Gas powered Lanterns
- 1 High Quality Flintstone (The kind used by Man Vs. Wild and SurvivorMan. Good for 10000 lights or 7000 fires.)
- 2 Large Cans of Lubricant/Gun Cleaner
- 30+ BIC liters
- 1 small-ish Axe
- 1 Fire Extinguisher
- 10 packs of seeds (refrigerated, corn, tomato, cucmber)
7) THINGS TO BUY
-My Personal Defense Suit (Mainly for Intimidation):
-- 1 Romanian AK-47 (BOUGHT)
-- 1 Level IIIa Body Armor (BOUGHT)
--- 4 gas masks (One for each family member, For tear gas or biological warfare)
--- 1 Kevlar Riot Helmet (For head protection and identity consealment)(BOUGHT)
--- 1 set of Riot Gear
--- 500 7.62mm x 39mm Rounds (Ak-47 rounds)(BOUGHT)
----300+ more cans of food
---- 1 Police Scanner
---- 1 Battery Powered AM/FM Radio
---- 2 Packs of Antibiotics (1 Ingestable, 1 Injectable)(BOUGHT)
---- 20+ syringes
---- 1 set of Gardening tools (Shovel, trowel, fertilizer, Farmers almanac, etc...)
---- 2 Ounces of Pot (For personal consumption, Everybody has their vice, pot is mine)
---- 8 sets of thermal underwear (4 mens, 4 womens)(BOUGHT)
Thats about all I can remember/find at this point. This list has cost me a lot of hard earned money and time but I do believe it is a good head start towards preparing my family and me for the treacherous future that lies ahead.
I was wondering if anyone else was starting to prepare or if I am just crazy. I also wanna know if I forgot anything so feel free to lemme know what I missed.
By the way things are looking so far in Washingtion, I hope what I wrote gives you a good idea of how much preparation there really is left for us to do.
So I have skrimpted and saved these past couple of months and I have managed to accumulate some more nessecities for our, now obvious, impending dollar crash.
- 2 Story House for Parents in Jacksonville:(60% Surrounded by forest: Quiet white neighborhood 20-25 miles away from downtown Jacksonville, Fl: 360 degree security lights: 4 Windows on the second floor facing in every direction )(perfectly defensible))
- 300 Rounds of 7.62mm x 39mm for the AK47
- 1 Israel Gas Mask with 1 refill canister
- 10 weeks worth of Blood Pressure Medicine (that will be worth way WAY more than gold when everything collapses - "You want a once of gold, or do you want your father to live?"
- 2 types of Two Week Regimens of Super Strong AntiBiotics (Cipro, Bactrim) These will be essential for the sick and dying: A.K.A. Profit city
- 2 Large bottles of 30 strength Colloidal Silver for minor bacterial infections and overall health
- 4 Full pairs of Long Johns thermal underwear, one for each family member
I still need:
- Tons and tons of paper plates, bowls, and utinsels.(BOUGHT)
- Kevlar Ski Mask (Intimidation purposes and they look cool)
- Military Kevlar Helmet
- Multiple Water Filters
- Solar Power Generator
- More Canned Food
- Everything mentioned in the first post that I didn't have
Just won two more important items off ebay:
-ISRAELI NBC M15 GAS MASK,1 FILTER & 1 DRINKING TUBE ($35)
-SMITH AND WESSON Riot Helmet with Visor ($15)
NEXT MONTH: I plan on purchasing one or two more filters for the mask and either a Berkey or Katadyn water filter. I have a stagnant creek behind my house that is a perfect source of water as long as it is filtered.
I also need to purchase a ton of paper plates/bowls and utensils.
- Katadyn Vairo Water Filter Dual Technology Microfilter
- 200 Paper Plates
- 200 Paper Bowls
- 150 Plastic Utensils
THINGS TO BUY
- Decoy Safe
- 3 Gas Masks
- 4 Gas mask canister refills
- 2 Replacement water filters
- Solar Cooker
- 1000+ 20 gauge Shotgun Shells/9mm rounds/7.62x39mm Shells
- 7 Window Bar Sets
- 2 Security Doors (Bullet/Smash proof, Front and back door)
I purchased a Katadyn Vairo Water Filter Dual Technology Microfilter off of Ebay. It is good for up to 500 gallons of pure water before it needs filter replacement. I plan to have atleast two replacement filters, giving me a total of 1500 gallons of fresh water before I need to find a new way to get water.
I also picked up some paper plates and utensils. When the water is off, those ceramic plates and bowls will be getting pretty grimey after a while.
Overall this is going to be an expensive quest, but I can assure you it will be even more expensive in the near future.
Anybody got any more suggestions? Lets keep this thread going.
So I have made a decent amount of progress since I last updated.
- 15 Sets of Plastic Silverware and Paper Plates (100 per set)
- Small Decoy safe is poorly hidden and that will keep only 10% of my familys gold/silver/cash holdings
- Another $2000 in silver (27 an oz) and $1000 in gold (1350 an oz)
- A siphon for extracting gas from abandon or unprotected cars
- Ski masks-1 Green, 1 black
- Katadyn Combi Waterfilter (Good for 15,000 gallons of water)
- Full Camoflage outfit (hat, jacket, shirt, pants boots)
- Additions: 200 rounds of 20 gauge bird shot, 50 Rrounds of 12 gauge slugs, 600 rounds of 7.62x39mm, 200 rounds of .38, 50 rounds of 30-06, 50 rounds of 380, 100 rounds of 9mm FMJ
- A CB radio
- 60 Rolls of Toilet Paper (15 for each family member)
- Potassium Iodine tablets
- Working on getting a new rural house for about 100k.
- MORE FOOD
- Portable toilet/shower
- More TP
- Feminine Products (Gross)
Feel welcome to post your suggestions or your preparations.