0 votes

MSNBC: 'Spiritual Father of the Tea Party Ron Paul vs. Mosque Critics'

http://www.youtube.com/wa...

Full transcript from MSNBC below: (Sorry about the weird lack of capitalization & copious spelling errors. That's the way it was on the site - likely a voice recognition transcript.)

>>> Good evening from los angeles. i'm lawrence o'donnell in for keith olbermann. the spiritual father of the tea party, congressman ron paul has weighed in on the controversy over the proposed construction of an islamic center with prayer room two blocks from where the towers once stood. in the fifth story tonight mr. paul plainly, powerfully does the following. one, defending the right to build the center there. two, dismantles the so-called sensitivity argument. three, reveals what he thinks is the true motive of the republican mosque opponents. mr. paul issued a statement on his website. the headline, ron paul to sunshine patriots, stop your democratogogy about the nyc mosque. mr. paul has previously drawn republican anger for standing up against the war in iraq, u.s. torture, and infringement on personal liberties in the name of safety, but this time, well, you just have to hear this. quote, the fact that so much attention has been given the mosque debate raise the questions of just why and driven by whom? in my opinion, it has come from the neoconservatives who demand continual war in the middle east and central asia and are compelled to constantly justify it. they never miss a chance to use hatred toward muslims to rally support for the ill-conceived preventive wars. they just want everybody to be sensitive and force through public pressure cancellation of the mosque construction. this sentiment seems to confirm that islam itself is to be made the issue and radical religious islamic views were the only reasons for 9/11. the justification to ban the mosque is no more rational than banning a soccer field in the same place because all the suicide bombers loved to play soccer. defending the controversial use of property should be no more difficult than defending the first amendment principle of defending controversial speech. but many conservatives and liberals do not want to diminish the hatred for islam, the driving emotion that keeps us in the wars in the middle east and central asia. this is all he says about hate and islamphobia. right on queue came the protest against a muslim center. a black man wearing a cap was targeted by protestors and called a coward, someone shouting he must have voted for obama. someone else, quote, we're against the muslims, not each other. the man it turned out was not a muslim. and five years after 9/11, glenn beck now railing against the center on fox news once appeared with the center's iman on abc news and spoke to him in a way suggested he was part of the solution, not part of the problem.

>>Beck: it is important for all of us to look evil in the eye and crush it. radicalized islam is evil. they are -- they're hijacking a beautiful religion. i believe there is a cancer that is radicalized islam, and it must be cut out or it's going to kill all of us, including the good muslims.

>> with us tonight on this issue is msnbc contributor maliselissa harris and professor of politics and african- american studies at princeton university. thanks for joining us tonight, melissa. first, let's start with the phrase glenn beck used. good muslim. we've gone pretty far down the road once we start talking about good muslims instead of talking about people who happen to be muslim who do the good or bad things, haven't we?

>> so let's pause and i'll assign everyone a little reading. everyone should read the book "good muslim bad muslim." it would speak directly to these issues. when i hear good muslim, it resonates with me with a history of similar kinds of terms. good negro, nice girl. both of those terms when they were called good colored folk or nice girls or good women as compared to feminists or civil rights workers, it was a way of suggesting that a person from a group that is an outsider group, when they conform to the interests of the state, are necessarily defined as good. the reason we want to be careful about that is not only as you say that individuals should be judged based on their actions and not on their identity, but also because as soon as you do that, you make it impossible for that person to then act assist a bridge to the very community to which your hoping to speak. so if you call someone, for example, a good negro, it's pretty easy for those in the civil rights movement to say that person is no longer relevant to us. we don't want to work with them in terms of building these bridges. if you label people things like good muslim, by someone who agrees with me, glenn beck, you make it impossible to build the bridge.

>> isn't there a presumption in the cultural see mantics of the phrasing of good muslim or good negro that those people are not noormly good? if you're talking about one that is good, you must specify that, because that's the exception.

>> absolutely. i mean, it's a bit -- it's a bit like suggesting there's an oxymoron there and therefore it's worth pointing out. like a reasonable conservative like ron paul who has been this week.

>> melissa, the ugliest scene from the protest yesterday, the black man wearing a white cap assuming to be a muslim besieged by the mob, what did you stee in that scene?

>> this is emblematic of what occurred in the weeks and months of years after 9/11. overall i think our nation did a generally good job about not sort of creating a set of policies that pushed out our muslim brothers and sisters. there were always these individual acts of hate that occurred, and often these individual acts of hate were against people who were misidentified as muslims. so, for example, people who were seik and people don't know much about the difference between these religious cultures, they were misidentified and victimized by hate speech or hate crime. it's also very scary. it is precisely the option of where i'd hoped we'd be going as a nation after the 2008 election.

>> it seems to have fallen to republican gadfly ron paul to make the clearest, unequivocal statement any politician has made who has spoken on this subject. what do you make of congressman paul's statement, and why is he alone so seemingly fearless in the face of this controversy?

>> i got to say rare is the day where i'm really cheering a ron paul blog, but i got to say i was when i was reading this. i was laughing thinking about the facts that i still carry in my purse a copy of the constitution that ron paul handed to me on a manchester, new hampshire street corner during the 2008 primaries. i'll say that the thing about paul here is that he is doing precisely the opposite of beck. he is calling americans to our highest and best ideals. the point about america's best ideals isn't that we all agree on one set of policies or one idea logical position. it's not that we will all become progressive, but rather that what we agree on is a set of precrepts about how we one another in our social, political and economic world. now, you know, i'm more interested in some issues of legality and justice, and ron paul is more interested in issues fundamentally of liberty. those two -- that concern about justice and about liberty, about equality and freedom, those are the core american principles, and when you call americans back to that instead of appealing to the very lowest common denominators of ethnic anxiety and racial and religious hate, that's when you end up with an american public discourse that can be about ideas, about real policy, and no longer has to be about this sort of fear mongering and stereotyping.

>> melissa harris lacewell, thanks for your time tonight.



Trending on the Web

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Did You Notice When His Words Deviated From the Screen?

Did You Notice When His Words Deviated From the Screen?
Right when Dr. Paul started talking about the terrorists' real motivations for the attack...hmmmm, interesting.
Someone at MSNBC switched the TelePrompTer text at the last second. The result?
Even though the words on the screen read Ron's words about America's intervention overseas as the motivations about the attack, anyone that gets an official transcript of the show gets something else.

Michael, thank you

As a Deaf person, I truly appreciated your posting of the transcript that you had, even though it came from MSNBC. Any little bit when it comes to accessibility is always appreciated. Thanks for your continued contributions over the years to the movement.

For captioned Ron Paul videos, check out http://www.youtube.com/user/KramerDSP or http://www.deafronpaul.blogspot.com

Congratulations Ron Paul

You and Miss Lacewell nailed it!

Ron Paul is my hero

Again and again and again. I have been the cause of rancor amongst various friends of mine because I have been defending the rights of individuals and demanding that Moslems be treated as such; rather than collectively. This will help defend my argument. I am posting it by email and on my Facebook.

Healthnut4freedom

The lip of truth shall be established forever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment...Lying lips are abomination to the LORD: but they that deal truly are His delight. Prov 12:19,22

tasmlab's picture

The last 20 seconds of that woman speaking

Was oddly elegant and appropriate and respectful and intelligent. Who in the MSM let her get that out without interrupting???

Currently consuming: Gatto: "Underground history of education..", FDR; Wii U; NEP Football

tasmlab's picture

Here it is for a quick re-read

i got to say rare is the day where i'm really cheering a ron paul blog, but i got to say i was when i was reading this. i was laughing thinking about the facts that i still carry in my purse a copy of the constitution that ron paul handed to me on a manchester, new hampshire street corner during the 2008 primaries. i'll say that the thing about paul here is that he is doing precisely the opposite of beck. he is calling americans to our highest and best ideals. the point about america's best ideals isn't that we all agree on one set of policies or one idea logical position. it's not that we will all become progressive, but rather that what we agree on is a set of precrepts about how we one another in our social, political and economic world. now, you know, i'm more interested in some issues of legality and justice, and ron paul is more interested in issues fundamentally of liberty. those two -- that concern about justice and about liberty, about equality and freedom, those are the core american principles, and when you call americans back to that instead of appealing to the very lowest common denominators of ethnic anxiety and racial and religious hate, that's when you end up with an american public discourse that can be about ideas, about real policy, and no longer has to be about this sort of fear mongering and stereotyping.

Currently consuming: Gatto: "Underground history of education..", FDR; Wii U; NEP Football

Why does she say

"now, you know, i'm more interested in some issues of legality and justice, and ron paul is more interested in issues fundamentally of liberty."

What???????????

Legality does not translate into justice, and what is the definition of Justice according to whom? That's socialistic talk, which is mutually exclusive of liberty.

Sounds like more of a divine between her socialistic ideals and Ron Paul's constitutional-based freedom than a consensus

Conscience does not exist if not exercised

"No matter how cynical you get, it's impossible to keep up!
---Lily Tomlin

she didn't say legality, she

she didn't say legality, she said egalitarianism, which is probably even worse.

Discrepency between quotes

This was clearly intentional. There is a certain point at which the host is reading a completely different quote than that which appears on the screen. What is the motivation for this?

Editorial Decision

Too much good stuff in Dr. Paul's statement to choose from, not enough time.

The screen display is prepared in advance; probably someone decided the other lines fit better.

What do you think? http://consequeries.com/

No

Dr. Paul was speaking about how Neocons (and the MSM as well, apparently) want to ignore what the US did to anger the terrorists, and focus only on religious extremism. The MSM don't want to go there.

Redstripe4U asks an interesting question below...

"Who were the guys in suits, that led the guy out of the crowd?"

I wonder who they were as well.

The audio of one "argument" among two of the "protesters", has been played over the radio for a couple of days now.

Something seems manufactured about this whole thing.

Look at the players involved. Who benefits from this?

Wish they had read his whole quote!

Lawrence breaks from reading what is arguably the most important part of Dr. Paul's quote around 2:08 and gives a relatively vanilla portion about free speech and soccer fields. Just to reiterate, the unread part of his quote was:

If it became known that 9/11 resulted in part from a desire to retaliate against what many Muslims saw as American aggression and occupation, the need to demonize Islam would be difficult if not impossible.

This is a vital part of the argument and a very unfortunate omission.

But the Soccer Analogy Was Very Effective

Let's hope the whole thing gets picked up and re-printed in newspapers everywhere.

We should get on that right away.

What do you think? http://consequeries.com/

Ron "Star Trek" Paul

The courage to "boldly go where no man has gone before".

Of course some have gone there before, but it sounded just right. I agree with a previous poster that this is a defining moment for RP. He is a man of character, a bridge builder, and he shines the light of truth on the issues.

I gotta warn you folks. People don't like having their worst side exposed. Expect the attacks on RP to begin with renewed vigor as people's consciences niggle at them more and more. The bell has just rung for round two!

Thomas Jefferson: “Indeed, I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just, that His justice cannot sleep forever."

Viva La Revolucion!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmaTNf4YhEs

Good Grief

It is the commentator or whatever he calls himself that was so incredibly rude to Peter Schiff again.

He sides with RP with this time and 99.9999 per cent of time he tries to rip apart any other people or persons associated with RP including RP.

This guy is wallowing in his own filth imo.

donvino

good for Dr. Paul!

I agree with him. Why am I surprised?

:)

it's hard to be awake; it's easier to dream--

Ron is getting so much coverage

on this issue and I am glad.

Even tho it IS a giant distraction I am glad OUR man is front and center with wisdom and clarity.

Ron Paul is a magnificent man!

Ron Paul is My President

nice

Love the headline.

LL on Twitter: http://twitter.com/LibertyPoet
sometimes LL can suck & sometimes LL rocks!
http://www.dailypaul.com/203008/south-carolina-battle-of-cow...
Love won! Deliverance from Tyranny is on the way! Col. 2:13-15

VINTAGE PAUL...... MR. LIBERTY !

MR. LIBERTY HAS CRACKED THE MAINSTREAM WINNING OVER REAL CONSERVATIVES AND LIBERALS...ONLY THE NEO-CONS HATE HIM BECAUSE RON PAUL IS THE MAN OF PEACE, OF LOVE AND FOR PROSPERITY FOR EVERYONE..

hmm..

Something's up. Look out, Rand.

Right On

A few years ago I was a liberal democrat, all my life. The last few years have really woken me up. I used to think Libertarians were 'radical'. Now I think Dr. Paul is one of the only people in Congress who is not bought and paid for. If we only had 300 of him in the House and 60 in the Senate could you imagine the how things would change. It is very refreshing to hear a person speak the truth. He nails it when he says the Mosque issue is only a smoke screen for the Neo=cons and their Israeli agenda. Here is a piece I wrote on it, I would love to get some feedback. http://www.thecactusland.com/

Robert Bonomo
www.thecactusland.com

I'll be happy to read it when I get home, Robert.

Are you related to stuntman / actor Joe Bonomo, who also once marketed "Turkish Taffy"? That was a great product and I read Joe's biography a few years back? He had a really interesting life.

Great quotes by Dr.Paul

It's funny he probably lost the 2008 election because too many people thought he was a closet racist.

Terrible this politcal game we are all in.

Such a good point you make!

Here is proof that Ron Paul is not racist (if you need any). It's amazing that this same host and network praising him for his principled stand against collectivism will be the first to bring out the racist card when he announces a 2012 run. I will bet on it.

Agreed

This kind of non-racism is much harder to fake than most! Here he is sticking his neck out with much courage and nothing to gain, to make a deep and important uplifting point... No racist would do that.

What do you think? http://consequeries.com/

Ron Paul's moment in history.

I've followed politics for 50 years, and I haven't seen many "defining moments". This is Ron Paul's defining moment. He's a "teflon candidate" from here on.

Ron Paul, a modern El Cid.

Olbermann appears to be pulling a Beck.

Keith Olbermann completely ignored Ron Paul during the 2008 campaign. However, his guests hosts, starting with Rachel Maddow, have created a favorable climate for Ron Paul, and not just his ideas. This is really great news.

Suspect MSNBC is using Ron Paul

as a means to an end, to divide the Tea Party and reduce support for Ron Paul within it.
Get away from the economy and the Tea Party consensus ends. Foreign policy and social issues are dividers.
Ron Paul and Sarah Palin, the father and mother, disagree.

Sarah Palin is not the mother of the tea party

She is the Pin Up Girl of the tea party. (or maybe its slutty step daughter)