Dr. Paul does not dismiss a run in 2012Submitted by Deborah K on Thu, 10/21/2010 - 01:05
Have you noticed when asked if he will run, he does not dismiss it out of hand? How can we learn from the first time? What were some mistakes that we should avoid next time around? And things we should do?
I'm a long-time member of the RonPaulForums and posted this back in February. It has been recommended to me to post it here as well. Here is the original post: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?t=232814
Here are the ideas that have been put together from the RPFs. Please add your own.
Okay, I'll start:
1. Instead of fighting the media, we need to infiltrate and use them. Judge Nap is our beginning.
2. We should put together a list of people WE would want to run his campaign.
3. We should start thinking about running mates and cabinet members we would suggest to him.
4. We need to become familiar with the tactics of the opposition and use their own tactics against them.
Edit: I'm going to start listing your ideas here as they come in, so they're in one location. Let me know if I miss any:
1. Start early, start now, build on the momentum.
2. An up-to-date DVD available with Ron Paul footage on the main issues, as well as video endorsements from many media outlets
3. Mistake: Too many moneybombs and individuals/groups jumping on the cash bandwagon last time.
Correction: We should have 1 moneybomb per QUARTER, and inform the campaign ahead of time so they can plan accordingly. Any non-campaign fundraisers should be prepared to deal with extensive questions to prevent another Ringside Revolution / Ron Paul Racing scam. The blimp was fun and got free advertising, but didn't get Ron Paul elected, therefore it was a mistake that should not be funded again.
4. a.The ads were pathetic- Let the grassroots make the ads and vote on them like the youtube debate ad
b. The campaign proved themselves inept on numerous occasions in 2007- hopefully the mistakes will be learned from and some good campaign managers/staff will evolve from this years liberty candidates
c. Organize Ron Paul (Revolution?) Marches like the one in Austin back in Oct 07... do these countrywide regularly in 2011 to show our numbers and spread the message.
5. We should focus on Iowa and New Hampshire
6. This time, be nice to them (media). No chasing Hannity. If you really must, go at him screaming "Obama's Number ONE!"
7. Become an elector: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...come+an+electo
8. We need to bus liberty-loving students from colleges and universities to Ames for the IA straw poll in August 2011 to match Romney's bussing of Mormons.
9. We should fund commercials and set up interviews with local radio and TV stations in Iowa and New Hampshire et al.
10. We need TV ads that look and sound professional, that really glorify Ron and give him an emotional appeal.
12. See post #59
13. The most important thing we can do to help Ron Paul in 2012 is to get as many Ron Paul endorsed candidates elected in 2010. Each one that wins is someone that can turn around and immediately endorse Ron Paul (or whoever ends up running) the following year.
14. What we do need to do is focus on a team of people to get things done in the first 5 primary states. If we can beat Mitt in Michigan, we can win the nomination. Ron *can* win Iowa, and 2 in a row would be NH! If he wins Michigan he's nearly won the election.
15. Instead of donating $600,000 on a blimp, we could have major local events in Iowa
16. We could get far more mileage out of a serious highway billboard campaign in the key early primary states.
17. I remember Nathan Estey proposing Ron Paul truck billboards be rented that would circle the highways at rush hours to keep Paul's name in front of commuters. Or how about using the cash to pay for a network of Paul speakers to make presentations at veterans clubs and senior centers, to get his message out in front of live likely voters?
18. Infiltrate all Tea Parties and 9/12 groups in Iowa.
19. Re-awaken the meet-up groups
20. We need to win or place strongly (top 3) in the Ames straw poll. The money we spend winning it will pay for itself in the free media attention it garners. We need to ORGANIZE and bus our supporters into Ames. We need to set up carpooling, etc in every town in Iowa so not one Ron Paul supporter misses the opportunity to cast a vote for Ron.
21. We need to plan a huge money bomb/kick off party for the day Ron announces his candidacy. Ron needs to be the front runner in money and donations from the start. I think $10 million is a realistic goal if we promote it.
22. We need the campaign to purchase an offical campaign bus, preferably several of them, fully furnished and painted nicely so they can serve as our command centers. We should station one in Iowa, New Hamshire, South Carolina, and one out west, Nevada possible. Like I said I'd prefer 4 buses, but we could live with 2 if we had to.
23. We need to carter private planes for Ron, so we can keep his energy level high and get him across the country wherever he's needed (Iowa, New Hampshire, South Carolina, Nevada, etc)
24. We have to figure out a way to get our most inspirational youtubes shown on the air or at least a DVD in the hands of all early primary voters.
FUNDRAISING IS KEY
Ron Paul's fundraising growth was exponential in 2007-2008. Lets start the exponential growth 10 months earlier for 2011-2012.
OUR Goal starting THE DAY HE ANNOUNCES FORMING AN EXPLORATORY COMMITTEE should be to raise at least $10 million dollars by March 2011. (Q1)
A few suggestions:
START SAVING NOW.
1. I'm maxing out and encouraging my friends to do the same. In a fight there are times to save onto your ammo and times to fire with all you've got - Jan 2011 lets fire the shot heard around the world.
2. Join your local tea party and tell them Ron Paul started the modern tea party movement. Lets earn their hearts and minds.
3. I posit that a money bomb should be planned for some time in Jan, Feb., or March 2011 to put our campaign in a competitive position and gain financial-frontrunner status.
4. Meetup groups
Avery J. Knapp Jr., M.D.
Helped run the Greater NYC Ron Paul Action Meetup (and helped start it in May 2007, end of Q2, shortly after I heard about Ron Paul).
26. Don't forget to Register Republican, Become a Delegate and Get Involved!!!
27. The campaign should hire 10 of the most talented grassroots video makers and provide them the equipment and resources to churn out top quality video for the campaign. We need a video team following Ron around the country just shooting and shooting video, to be edited later for use in campaign commercials, etc.
28. I also suggest a money bomb calendar so we can avoid grassroots confusion and pissing contests.
Let's debate the number of money bombs for fiscal year 2011 and the dates, so we don't have to do it on the fly like usual.
29. The opposition would take us by surprise by some of the tactics they used. Maybe it would be a good idea to "prepare and be aware" of those tactics a head of time.
30. A 2 day moneybomb on the day before and on the day of the Ames Straw Poll.
a. It will get Rons name in the media for the day of the straw poll
b. If a relatively undecided iowan turns up to vote and sees a giant live ticker outside our tent showing us raising millions as the day goes on- he/she may be swayed by our fundraising strength and enthusiasm
31. The way to combat this? Watch every CFL training video on the site!
32. We need to develop an internet taskforce that operates 24/7 probably through its own website and dominates these marketing tools:
1. Internet Polls
2. YouTube Videos
3. Article/Video Comment Sections
4. Facebook domination
5. Emailing mediaheads
33. We NEED precinct leaders. Either official voted in precinct leaders or volunteer precinct leaders (as from the 2008 campaign)
We NEED Ron Paul supporters to get comfortable with:
1. Walking their precincts
2. Talking to their neighbors. (don't alienate them if you have differing views)
3. Organizing precinct meetings w/ your neighborhood at the local library
4. Gaining the trust of your precinct.
5. Showing informative eye-opening documentaries at the local library during your precinct meetings.
We can win back America and it can happen one precinct district at a time. Win over your precinct!