Army says improperly tested $2.5 billion body armor is safeSubmitted by DeMolay on Wed, 08/17/2011 - 19:54
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Body armor worth $2.5 billion that the Department of Defense's Inspector General found had been improperly tested poses no hazard to troops, according to the Army.
The Army cut corners and skipped tests altogether on seven body armor contracts, a DoD IG report released August 1 said.
Army spokesman Matthew Hickman said on Wednesday that the report never concluded that safety of soldiers wearing the body armor was at issue.
"I think when you first hear about it you think, holy moley, the Army's providing body armor to soldiers that can't even stop a bullet. And that's just not the case," Hickman said.