Occupy Wall Street Now Has Formal Declaration with 22 GrievancesSubmitted by Habit4ming on Fri, 09/30/2011 - 17:19
There is a declaration from those at “Occupy Wall Street on Facebook” , of whom are stating a Call to Action.
“As we gather together in solidarity to express a feeling of mass injustice, we must not lose sight of what brought us together. We write so that all people who feel wronged by the corporate forces of the world can know that we are your allies.
As one people, formerly… divided by the color of our skin, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or lack thereof, political party and cultural background, we acknowledge the reality: that there is only one race, the human race, and our survival requires the cooperation of its members; that our system must protect our rights, and upon corruption of that system, it is up to the individuals to protect their own rights, and those of their brethren; that a democratic government derives its just power from the people, but corporations do not seek consent to extract wealth from the people and the Earth; and that no true democracy is attainable when the process is determined by economic power. We come to you at a time when corporations, which place profit over people, self-interest over justice, and oppression over equality, run our governments. We have peaceably assembled here, as is our right, to let these facts be known.
1. They have taken our houses through an illegal foreclosure process, despite not having the original mortgage.
2. They have taken bailouts from taxpayers with impunity, and continue to give CEO’s exorbitant bonuses.
3. They have perpetuated gender inequality and discrimination in the workplace.
4. They have poisoned the food supply, and undermined the farming system through monopolization.
5. They have continuously sought to end the rights of workers to negotiate their pay and make complaints about the safety of their workplace.
6. They have held students hostage with tens of thousands of dollars of debt on education, which is itself a human right.
7. They have consistently outsourced labor and used that outsourcing as leverage to cut workers’ healthcare and pay.
8. They have influenced the courts to achieve the same rights as people, with none of the culpability or responsibility.
9. They have spent millions of dollars on legal teams that look for ways to get them out of contracts in regards to health insurance.