Urgent from Stewart Rhodes: Give Me Your Top Ten Unconstitutional Bush ActionsSubmitted by Stewart Rhodes on Thu, 10/06/2011 - 18:26
I am about to write a blistering rebuttal to a neocon, Bush kool-aid drinking diatribe that acts as though the Bush years never happened, and only under Obama was the Constitution subverted. As usual, these neocons totally ignore the incredibly destructive, unconstitutional, treasonous actions of the Bush Admin and only complain about what has happened in the past three years, as if they were in a coma till January, 2009. I cannot at this time disclose the document I am rebutting, but I will post it, along with my rebuttal, after I am done.
Please help me by adding your top ten list (or top 20!) of Bush Admin crimes against the Constitution.
I think I already have a pretty decent list, but let me know if I am missing anything.
My top ten list of Bush Admin crimes against Constitution:
1. Claimed power of the President to detain American citizens in military detention, and to try them by military tribunal, in total violation of Article III Treason Clause (essentially claiming the power to treat Americans like foreign enemies in wartime, under the laws of war instead of under our Bill of Rights, and then claiming the power to do anything and anything the President wants to them). Two US citizens, Jose Padilla and Yasir Hamdi, were so detained and the 4th Circuit and the Supreme Court, respectively, upheld those military detentions, establishing horribly dangerous precedent, which Obama now uses to take it to the next logical conclusion - that if he can detain you as an "unlawful combatant" based on secret evidence, he can also just have you killed based on secret evidence.
2. Claimed power of the President, as Commander-in-chief (and as "the decider") to determine for himself, A. What is war, B. When we are at war, C. Who is the enemy, including our own citizens, or anyone else in the whole world,whether nation states or individuals, D. What must be done to win the war, including anything and everything the President decides is necessary, including torture, with Bush lawyer John Yoo even refusing to deny that the President can crush a child's testicles to make the parent talk, with Yoo stating that "it depends on why the President thinks he needs to do that", and E, going to war against nation states ostensibly to fulfill UN mandates, rather than pursuant to a Congressional Declaration of War.
3. Military commissions act, which makes no distinction between American citizens and non-citizens, again sweeping the Bill of Rights aside and replacing it with the international laws of war, which are brought home and applied to Americans as if they were Iraqis or citizens of Afghanistan.
4. Patriot Act, which violates multiple provisions of the Bill of Rights, but especially the 4th Amendment.
5. Creation of DHS, which established a pervasive, massive secret police and surveillance state that the Gestapo and Stasi could only have wet dreams about. And now that massive cancer of a modern Stasi is being turned inward, on anyone deemed a "Ron Paul supporter," "Chuck Baldwin supporter" or "constitutionalist" as well as targeting veterans.
6. NSA spying on Americans in total violation of Fourth Amendment, which was defended by Bush lawyers as being a power outside the Bill of Rights, since the President, as Commmander-in-Chief has the authority to "conduct surveillance of the battlefield" and all the world, including all of the United States, is part of the battlefield in the war on terror (war on a tactic).
7. Creation of Northcom, which is a DOMESTIC military command over the United States, with standing army troops deployed here for domestic use, .
8. Expansion of power of FEMA
9. Bankster bailouts (which Obama has only continued)
10. Continued existence and growth of power of the Federal Reserve, which is the single most destructive institution that is killing America. Bush did nothing to stop it, and in fact helped it right along in the massive destruction of our dollar.
11. Gun confiscation, en mass, during Katrina, with it carried out by federalized and nationalized police, National Guard troops, and also active duty Army troops (82nd Airborne), as well as by local New Orleans cops. All on Bush's watch.
12. Deficit spending and massive growth of the Federal government.
13. Massive expansion of medicare and medicaid.
OK, what did I miss?
Founder of Oath Keepers