Glenn Beck demonizes Paul for 'alignment' with "progressives and communists"Submitted by Alek on Thu, 01/05/2012 - 00:34
Thought his might be beneficial to those unaware of Glenn Beck's recent baleful attempt to defame the good Doctor:
Beck's use of a lackadaisically constructed "straw man" and an anemic "guilt by association" tactic demonstrate his obtuse logic lacks the intellectual and moral high ground.
The straw man is the supposed associations of task force members serving on the "Sustainable Defense Task Force" (http://www.comw.org/pda/1006SDTF.html).
How does Dr. Paul fit into all of this?
Well, the Task Force "was formed in response to a request from Representative Barney Frank (D-MA), working in cooperation with Representative Walter B. Jones (R-NC), Representative Ron Paul (R-TX), and Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR), to explore possible defense budget contributions to deficit reduction efforts that would not compromise the essential security of the United States."
So, because Ron Paul serves as one of four on the Congressional Oversight to this PDA (Project on Defense Alternatives) coordinated Task Force, which might have members with links to George Soros, Beck endeavors to vituperate Paul's integrity. According to Beck, "President Ron Paul wants to hand over the task of cutting the military to a bunch of Soros funded progressives and communists."
Maybe Ron Paul is exactly what Vasilly Orlov, from the 2010 movie "Salt," was talking about when he warned the CIA of English-speaking Russian sleeper agents trained from birth to destroy the United States on "Day X?"
Or maybe "Task Force members serve as individuals" and "Affiliations are listed for identification purposes and do not imply organizational endorsement of the Task Force findings" making the supposed associations of Task Force members of no consequence to Dr. Paul's philosophic sincerity.
More importantly, as you all know, it "is irrefutably clear to us that if we do not make substantial cuts in the projected levels of Pentagon spending, we will do substantial damage to our economy and dramatically reduce our quality of life" (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rep-barney-frank/why-we-must-r...) and Congressman Paul is earnestly seeking to do so.
Either way, the Sustainable Defense Task Force's proposed cuts (http://www.comw.org/pda/fulltext/1006SDTFreport.pdf) aren't anything "radical communists" would propose.
Because in reality, "the Task Force has used a set of criteria to identify savings that could be achieved without compromising the essential security of the United States" finding cuts on:
"- Department of Defense programs that are based on unreliable or unproven technologies,
- Missions that exhibit a poor cost-benefit payoff and capabilities that fail the test of cost-effectiveness or that possess a very limited utility,
- Assets and capabilities that mismatch or substantially over-match current and emerging military challenges, and
- Opportunities for providing needed capabilities and assets at lower cost via management reforms."
Further details on proposed cuts can be found here:
So, is Ron Paul some kook secretly aligned with "progressives and communists" plotting the destruction of America? Or a Congressman who actually sees the number one threat to our national security is the foreseeable economic crisis and is actively looking and providing oversight for "Defense Alternatives" with a goal to:
"- Guarantee reliable, cost-effective defense against aggression;
- Rely on military structures that do not contribute to interstate tensions, crisis instability, or arms racing;
- Allow significant reductions in the level of armed forces and military spending;
- Foster progress in arms control and in the gradual demilitarization of international relations; and,
- Facilitate an increasing reliance on collective and global peacekeeping agencies and nonmilitary means of conflict prevention, containment, and resolution."