Does Your Vote Really Count!Submitted by sydnesb on Mon, 01/16/2012 - 14:48
If you vote straight party line, does your vote really count. Yes it will be counted...hopefully, but what does it represent? Do you vote based on principles, great. Are they your principles, or just the talking points of a party.
In 2008, I was elected a delegate in Colorado at my caucus. I was elected again at the county and district conventions, and ended up being a state delegate for Ron Paul. I then threw my hat as a national delegate. No such luck running against professional politicians in the state with widespread name recognition.
During this time, I participated in candidate training provided by Mr. Blackwell of the Leadership Institute. http://www.leadershipinstitute.org/
One fact that stuck with me, and I am surprised more people are not aware of, is that 88% of members of each party vote straight party line, regardless if that candidate represents his/her values. Every election is decided by the remaining 12% of the independent-minded voters in each party and the independents that do not associate with either party. If I was candidate and I knew I had your vote regardless, would I take the time to listen to what you had to say. Surely not. If I wanted to be elected, I focus my time on the independents. This is why Ron Paul is such a threat to the establishment, he garners a large share of the independent thinkers in the party as well as traditional independents. None of the other candidates can do this. My advice when reaching out to people, don't spend a great deal of time trying to convince the hardcore party members, focus on the independents within and without the party depending whether it is an open or closed primary/caucus.