A three way race to the conventionSubmitted by denpratt on Thu, 01/19/2012 - 11:23
Santorum correctly characterized a three-way battle for the heart of the Republican party:
- a Big Corporate, Big Government Moderate wing
- a Big War, Big Values NeoConservative wing
- a Noninterventionist, Small Government wing
Dr. Paul owns the last wing. What the establishment pundits have not recognized is that their “hard ceiling” on our wing has been inching up continuously -- from 7% to now perhaps 22%. What we have not appreciated is that inching forward requires more time to get to our goal; the message of freedom must diffuse through decades of calcified interventionist Big Government indoctrination.
If we were forced into a head-to-head race -- *today* -- against either other wing, the establishment press would have plenty of justification to ignore a Dr. Paul with only 20%, versus the other candidate with 80%. The only conversation, in MSM and in parlors, would be Obama vs. the Big Government Republican.
IMO, our best shot is to keep this primary race inconclusive, and thus ‘interesting’. A long battle between the first two wings allows us to continue proselytizing Dr. Paul’s message of human freedom to potential converts who would have to continue thinking about the amount of control they want to give politicians and bureaucrats over their lives.
We ratchet. We do not surge. It takes a long time to wear away enough indoctrination for people to start desiring their freedom, versus blindly swallowing the utopian promises of a benevolent dictatorship. Consolidating this race too early ends our ability to convert.
The interesting race in SC and Florida will be between Santorum and Gingrich, for who can capture that second wing. Palin and Perry endorsed Gingrich. Romney and Dr. Paul already have their wings secured and are not going anywhere, no matter the results.
Then we want a long enough race to erode the other wings. Our wing is unerodable; once freed, few re-accept chains. Their wings, based on coerced compulsion, plunder, lies, false promises, and inhumanity, are quite vulnerable, if allowed enough time for people to think ...
It’s a siege, not a raid. Let’s hope that we quickly get to three candidates, without Romney capturing "presumptive winner".
We should be ecstatic to battle for delegates, in state after state, with each wing claiming some states. We could continue our de-indoctrination of the masses -- all the way to a brokered convention where Republican pragmatists will confer with our delegates over their only choice -- Dr. Paul, or Obama.