Thank you everyone. Daily Paul fundraiser 100% complete!Submitted by Michael Nystrom on Mon, 03/12/2012 - 10:37
Update: What I expected would take two weeks only took five days. I cannot say thank you enough to everyone who contributed to put this fundraiser over the top and ensure the Daily Paul's presence through the GOP convention. And thank you to everyone who makes ongoing contributions, both financial and otherwise, that keep this the best Ron Paul site on the net. We are working harder than ever to transform the DP into a sustainable endeavor, and the best pro Liberty site on the planet. Thank you. None of this would be possible without you. Never underestimate your power to change the world with your determined actions.
I have been putting this off as long as possible (as usual) because I hate asking for money. But the situation is becoming dire. Keeping our beloved Daily Paul on the air and running smoothly is no small endeavor of both time and money.
From its humble beginnings as the first website to support Ron Paul for president in January of 2007, the Daily Paul has grown into one of the top websites in the world, and the top Liberty website in our movement. The Daily Paul sports a global Alexa ranking inside of 4,500, and a U.S. ranking under 1,500 (i.e. it is one of the top 1,500 websites in all of the U.S.)
These incredible numbers are thanks entirely to our community and our commitment. It is all of us, individually and collectively who make the Daily Paul the powerful force that it is. But at the same time, the 50,000 users, 220,000 posts, 2.2 million comments, and countless daily trolls, spammers, and emails must be managed, not to mention legal issues, accounting issues, technology issues, keeping the software updated, while continually adding new features to the site. All of that - that is my job.
Thankfully I have a small but dedicated team that helps keeps it all going. Even working full time, there is no way I could do it alone.
And yet, keeping the website funded remains elusive. We operate on a razor thin margin. In the 2007/08 cycle, traffic dropped off a cliff after Super Tuesday, and revenue sank with it. If the same thing happens this year, we're in big trouble.
So if you value this website and and this community and the work that we do, please help us continue operations at least through the GOP convention. Here is how you can help:
- If you are a regular user of the Daily Paul, I invite you to become a premium subscriber with a monthly donation of $10 or more. Premium subscribers surf the site ad free (more on ads below), and can be identified because an avatar in their comments. More benefits for premium users are on the way.
- Make a one time donation via the chip-in to the left. We are looking to raise $20,000 to ensure the site's viability over the next five months, until the GOP convention in Tampa in late August. Ron Paul has vowed to stay in the race all the way, and this is our intention as well.
- If you don't like Pay Pal, please send check, money order, cash, silver or gold to:
The Daily Paul
PO Box 16132
Seattle WA 98116
Every little bit helps. Previous donors, please note the new address.
- The Daily Paul is looking for high level sponsorship. If you are able to sponsor ongoing operations at a high level, please contact me at: thankyou [at] dailypaul [dot] com.
I don't ever want the Daily Paul to go away, and I believe in finishing what I started. As long as Ron Paul stays in the race, the Daily Paul will be here. But going forward, it is imperative that we transform the site to ensure that it remains a permanent fixture and a powerful voice in the Liberty community. In order to do that, we need a solid financial footing.
Advertising and the Daily Paul
Have you noticed how annoyingly aggressive advertising has become on sites around the internet? What we see elsewhere, and what you will never see on the Daily Paul are:
- Pop-up ads
- Pop-under ads
- Splash screen intro ads (you can skip this ad in 30 seconds…)
- Keyword ads that highlight words with text, and give you a pop up when you roll over them
- Screen take over ads
- Video ads that start playing automatically
I am personally highly annoyed by such tactics. But why is online advertising becoming so aggressive? Because it is notoriously difficult to make money via online ads. Yes, the Daily Paul is covered in ads, including Google ads for Mitt Romney and the like. I get complaints about this, but it is all I can do to try to squeeze blood out of this turnip. I'm not happy about it, but at the same time, I doubt a Ron Paul supporter will be converted by a banner ad.
You will never see the aggressive ad tactics listed above used on the Daily Paul. Such tactics show blatant disrespect to the reader, ultimately detract from the purpose of the website, which is spreading the message of Liberty as far and wide as possible.
If you have not done so already, please become a premium subscriber, or make a donation to the Daily Paul.
Keeper of the Resource