1 vote

New Mexico : City Shuts Shuts Down Water, Sewer For Photo Ticket Non Payment

New Mexico : City Shuts Shuts Off Water, Sewer For Photo Ticket Non Payment

Las Cruces, New Mexico is threatening to cut off water, gas and sewer service over unpaid red light and speed camera tickets.

With more and more vehicle owners simply deciding refuse to pay red light camera and speed camera tickets, private, for-profit companies and municipalities are growing increasingly desperate. America's second-largest city shut down its photo ticketing program last year largely because residents who could not afford the $500 citations did not pay them. On Monday, Las Cruces, New Mexico announced it would shut off the utilities of city residents who refused to pay Redflex Traffic Systems, the Australian company that owns and operates the cameras.

"The city is notifying offenders by mail that they have until the due date stated in the letter to pay the fines or make satisfactory payment arrangements," a Las Cruces press release warned. "Failure to comply will result in termination of utilities services."

Las Cruces claims vehicle owners owe $2 million. To encourage payment of the $100 photo fines, the city says it will employ an ordinance the council adopted in 1988 giving itself the right to shut off utility service to residents declared delinquent for any reason.

"The city may decline, fail or cease to furnish utility service to any person who may be in debt to the city for any reason, except ad valorem taxes and special assessments," city code Section 28-10 states


Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

These sheep need to Google

These sheep need to Google "Right to travel" before they get sheared. I don't 'drive' or 'operate' a 'motor vehicle'. I TRAVEL "freely and un-encumbered" on the PUBLICS roadways. Take time to read YOUR state statutes. You WILL find that there is NO law requiring you to obtain a driver’s license, register your car, buy plates, or get insurance. I will say that under the rule of necessity I do have the license, I can’t get insurance without it (and insurance is just a damn good thing to have). Maybe someone here will put together a plan to start an insurance company that insures “regular” people? If so, count me in as both an investor and customer. Questions? Send request to dallascounty(at)live.com or call 417-345-0069 (North America, central time. 9-5)