Some Thoughts on "Taking Over the Democratic Party"Submitted by gmason08 on Tue, 05/29/2012 - 14:13
I barely noticed some discussion on the DP regarding the idea of taking over the Democratic Party by the LIBERTY Movement. Then, a recent event(that will be the subject of another post) brought this idea to the fore of my notice. Among other things, it appears that an idea that I thought was just at a initial discussion stage is being pursued very seriously and the general view seems to be go for it.
Perhaps this is a good idea, perhaps not. I have yet to form a firm opinion on this effort, however, I think some of the downsides of this idea should be considered.
1. The media is trying to spin our effort to return the R party to traditional/Robert Taft roots(on steroids?) as an insurgency that is subverting the R party from what it is properly.
How does a concurrent effort to take over the D party play in that propaganda war?
Picture Headlines like below
"Crazy Ron Paul Cultists at it Again
Now Targeting Dems for Subversion"
2. We know that the same forces control both parties so that there is no choice at the ballot box.
Do we want to replace no choice controlled by one group w/ NO CHOICE controlled by our group? Are we better than Neocons/against uni-rule or are we just upset that the uni-rule is not us?
I always thought that one of our greatest strengths was modeling ourselves after the style and ethics of RP. Is repeating the playbook of the neocons(in reverse) in keeping w/ the style and ethics of RP.
Paraphrasing a well known reference: What good is it for us to gain the World(of Power) and lose the Soul of what we are about/becoming what we are trying to defeat?
3. We are stretched thin as it is and we have yet a long way to go to ultimate victory. Would not beginning a new effort to take over the D's(starting from scratch) just serve to weaken our relatively meager resources/spread them too thin and jeopardize our far from finished but very promising take back the R party effort?
4. At the ballot box-If we make the Dem Party like the LIBERTY controlled R party, would that not tend to just create a wash at the ballot box and work against the restoration of LIBERTY?
5. We believe, but there are no definitive numbers, that we are attracting D's to bolster our effort to take back the R party from warmongering/civil liberties destroying/economy destroying NeoCons. If we make the D party more palatable to D branded at birth types-would that not again work against the benefit we gain by concentrating disaffected Dems to one check off on a ballot?
6. The more I ponder this the more I wonder if the origin of this idea was from the same powers we are trying desperately to displace.
1. Hold off on any effort to take over the D party until AFTER the general election.
2. Do not proceed on this idea until we have had a healthy debate period on pros/cons, advisability of going down that road.
Thanks for reading.
Please add your thoughts For and Against this proposal to take over the DEM Party.