Gary Johnson Most Definitely Will Not Get My VoteSubmitted by Denise B on Fri, 08/03/2012 - 15:44
With all the talk about Gary Johnson, I decided to take a little bit of time to actually research his stances on a number of issues. After doing so, I have to admit that I am at a complete loss as to why anyone who is a true Ron Paul supporter would ever consider voting for this man. I went to the website ontheissues.org and discovered the following about Mr. Johnson:
1. He is an avid pro-choice supporter, and in fact supports a woman's so-called right to choose all the way up until "fetal viability" is reached....that can be as late as 7 months! Ron Paul is avidly Pro-Life and these two positions are incompatible.
2. When it comes to gun rights, his stance is simply that "gun laws are ineffective" and that it is an effective crime deterrant when criminals don't know who else is carrying guns. He even makes the statement that "We're ALLOWED to bear arms" because we are free society. REALLY? We are ALLOWED to bear them, or did he forget that the 2nd Amendment guarantees our RIGHT to bear them. I have seen no statement from him anywhere that talks about the 2nd Amendment specifically being written to protect us from tyranny. That was the primary reason, yet Mr. Johnson seems oblivious to this fact.
3. In June, 2011 he declared that he really is a "Classical Liberal", but others prefer the term "Libertarian". That's interesting.
4. In referece to border control, he stated we should just "Open the Borders - the flood of Mexicans will result in more taxpayers". He fully supported the job killing NAFTA and admitted that although New Mexico lost a lot of jobs "we're talking about those jobs which New Mexicans generally didn't want anyway". Really? I wonder if there are a number of New Mexicans who might take issue with that.
5. He supports more Federal Funding for rural Health Services.
6. He supported: Replacing the payroll tax with a Fair Tax and/or eliminating the IRS while implementing a 23% sales tax across the board.
7. He favors the federal REQUIRMENT of hiring more women and minorities.
8. States that the U.S. should provide No Foreign Aid to other countries, unless it "protects U.S. interests". He doesn't clarify who gets to decide whether or not it is in the U.S. interest or any parimeters at all. Isn't all Foreign Aid that is currently shelled out under the guise of "protecting U.S. interests".
This is what I discovered in only an hour of searching. Gary Johnson is not worthy of being referenced in the same sentence as Ron Paul and he is diametrically opposed to many of Ron Paul's stances. Ron Paul spends most of his time talking about protecting the U.S. Constitution. As far as I can see, Gary Johnson spends very little time doing the same.
He will not be getting my vote.