My take on GJ/RP 2012Submitted by ThereIsNoSpoon on Mon, 09/03/2012 - 14:29
Obviously none of us know empirically that any of this is valid or to the contrary. But that is really none of our concern at this point. The truth will reveal itself in due time. We need to look forward contemplating the what-ifs.
I for one am leaning towards voting for Johnson in the general to begin with. My reasoning for this is that my understanding of writing in candidates is that they are counted as a "write-in" votes and are not actually counted towards who I wrote in. I may be incorrect in this assessment and anyone can feel free to correct me if I am wrong. My suspicion is that it probably depends on what state you are in to begin with.
If the good Dr. decides to run under the GJ label on day X, the campaign will have a $2500 check in the mail on day Y.... and this is why.
1) Ron is running. This above all is what we really want... is Dr. Paul on that national stage getting these ideas out to the general population that haven't heard it yet. This alone is worth its weight in gold. Let us not get into our bubble thinking that the general population has had the exposure that we have had. We ARE the minority.
2) It gives the middle finger to the 2 part Corporatocracy that that we have been fighting against. A certain amount of satisfaction comes with that given the blatant corruption we have endured. They don't even try to hide it anymore. I like to know that the fight is moving forward to the next phase to bring down both statist factions of the same bureaucratic monster.
3) Gary Johnson is an experienced executor. Is he perfect? Of course not. Would I prefer Dr. Paul? Absolutely. I don't agree with everything that GJ says, but then again some of us probably differ from Dr. Paul on some things too. Some questioned his stance on DOMA. That is fine. There is nothing wrong with that, but I think that it is safe to say that GJ has a record as a governor that is an undeniable success unlike a Massachusetts governor I can think of who's success is relative to what words are used to describe it. He also has a successful business background. Not that I really care.... but someone does because Romney won't shut up about it. He has everything that Romney has except his successes are less subjective. Furthermore I believe GJ to be a moral and principle person.... but I have been fooled before.
4) Dr. Paul's background is as a legislator. Think about it... Dr. Paul as head of the Senate. If he were so inclined to do so he could preside daily over the Senate himself and take the Senate Majority Leader (Harry Reid)out of the equation all together. No more stonewalling and closeting legislation that is to the popular and general benefit and to the detriment of the Corporate/Beltway duopoly.
5) Lastly in a roundabout/quasi way GJ seems to take his ques from the Dr. Paul playbook. I think it is safe to say that he is heavily influenced by Ron's ideas and having Dr. Paul as a VP might actually be pretty damn close to having him as POTUS all together.
Just my $.02. As always comments and criticism are more than welcome.