8 votes

Voting Is A Sap's Game

http://www.mises.ca/posts/blog/why-vote/

With the U.S. presidential election right around the corner, Americans are getting themselves all in a tizzy to go to the voting booth and remind the holders of public office who they work for. Because it’s a presidential election, the stakes are looked to as even higher as the media paints the contest between Barack Obama and Mitt Romney as a conflict with extreme consequence. The statist tramps known as mainstream journalists are championing the race as a great ideological battle. The fact that the candidates differ little on policy and vision is purposefully avoided. To the political and intellectual establishment, the show must go on. Their way of life depends on it.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Not voting is the sap's game

For, if you don't even vote then you merely assure that you have no influence at all.

More important that voting, is getting further involved oneself, but voting is the first step.

Local votes can be more influential and important, but even in the presidential election, if nobody voted for Ron Paul he would have gotten nowhere and reached nobody.

Author is right but contradicts himself

Accuses voters of being powerless by citing power of people. Then suggests they are powerful except in any man-created system - which powerful men created - who are not powerful - if they vote.

How many

citizens have won their freedom through voting?

I mean real freedom...not like the charade in Egypt or Iraq.

I can't think of any.

Can any of you?

Good point

I always saw RP's campaign as part of the info. war, i.e., spreading the liberty message. It was a great success in that regard. But in the end, I think Murray Rothbard, Tom Woods, Lew Rockwell, Joe Sobran, and many others got it right. Anarcho-libertarianism is the way to go. The state will never be anything but what it's always been -- just a means for a few to parasite off the many. Voting will never change anything.

Disagreement

Though often frustrating practically, voting in principle is an act of free choice and one which I celebrate over authoritarian despotism or brutal mob-rule.

Further, I believe a model of volitional governance that endorses free choice regarding public agency is a solvent political direction forward

Voting basically is brutal mob rule

When 50.1% can force an Obama or Romney on the other 49.9%, what else would you call it?

Correction noted

I draw a distinction between

1. exercising choice on prerogative

(ex. funding a public road [or not] and then voting on its various conditions)

2. imposing one's political view

(ex. voting for mandated insurance)

Thank you

Sad it comes down to this

You wouldn't believe the brainwash all around me. ( ok, yes you would) Human waste that actually think it matters who wins...sad indeed

For Freedom!
The World is my country, all mankind is my brethren, to do good is my religion.

They ain't human waste

Just fools stuck in the game waiting to be freed.

Lord Acton, Lord Chief Justice of England, 1875 - "The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the People v. The Banks."

"Just Fools Stuck In The Game"

Think you got a great book title, SS!

Be seeing you.