Need help regarding alternative Cancer treatments (Esophageal cancer) for my father.Submitted by Tensa on Mon, 10/22/2012 - 21:20
Hello DP. Was looking to tap into the vast knowledge and experience from the free thinkers here.
Unfortunately, my father has just found out recently that he has Esophageal cancer. We are still finding out more such as exactly how far along it is, the suggestions of 'normal' doctors, etc. I am really trying to steer him away from chemo or radiation therapy if at all possible.
I've done some general research on cancer, alternative therapies, and his case in general (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Esophageal_cancer). I have seen numerous threads here on the DP about other members either helping friends or loved ones with alternative therapies, though none that I can recall of Esophageal cancer.
I was hoping (I know this is a bit of a stretch) that I could find someone here who has had the same type of cancer and has gone through treatment (be it mainstream treatment or alternative), and what your story / results were. I would also very much appreciate others with any other type of cancer to share their story, especially if they went through alternative treatments.
Some brief information on my father -
- He has been smoking since a fairly young age (~14 if I recall), and he is now 49 years old.
- He has had acid reflux for a long time, which according to the sources I have reviewed can cause Barrets syndrome and is another risk factor for esophageal cancer.
- His diet is not the best (but certainly not the worst). He is probably considered slightly overweight but is by no means obese. He had been drinking a lot of soda (high fructose corn syrup is awful) for many years, which I'm sure did not help.
- He does HVAC labor for a living, so his job is fairly physical. There may also be some health risks involved with that that could contribute.
- He does not drink alcohol (was listed as one of the risk factors on several sites).
- He is a caring but tough son of a gun. If anyone is stubborn enough to get through this, it is him.
He is still having tests done. He had a test done today that stated that the tumor in his esophagus was a 3 on a scale of 1-4. They also told him that they would suggest some chemo followed by surgery to remove this. Again, more tests are still being done.
Some of the alternative treatments I had looked up have been Gersons therapy (saw the Food Matters documentary and read up on it a bit) as well as DCA (http://www.thedcasite.com/dca_how_it_works.html). I will admit DCA is a bit more technical and I have limited knowledge of biology.
Again, anything you folks could provide to me in terms of people you know (or yourself) who has used alternative therapies would be much appreciated.