Going to run, Rand? Here's my 2 cents worth.Submitted by fishyculture on Tue, 11/20/2012 - 16:44
First I would like to dig up an old saying:
"Insanity is repeating the same behavior and expecting different results."
I suggest you do things differently from your father, radically differently.
1. Announce your run NOW. You need the grassroots whether you believe that or not. Your father's campaigns were made up mostly of small donations over time. If you want to get more money out of this turnip patch, the way to do it is to give us 4 years to make our small contributions.
2. Take a VERY controversial stand on whatever you think is worthy. If I had a genie in a lamp, I would wish for you to take on 9-11, but even if you (like your father) cannot "handle the controversy" I urge you to take a stand on something that matters. Do it loud and proud. You have FOUR YEARS to change the conversation on something, anything. Pick something. The FOX-watching sheep will never wake up to anything important unless the issue is forced upon their awareness.
3. Understand the impact on the grassroots of your compromises. Many at this site claim you are positioning yourself to get in good with the GOP. Do you not understand about the Franklin Scandal? Are you unaware how corrupt your new friends are? We need to populate the GOP with honest, decent people, why are you coddling those that need to be tried for treason? By appeasing them, you lose me and others like me. I seek HONESTY. If you are engaging in doublespeak with the intent of getting power, then busting loose with some liberty, you have become what we sought to get rid of. You will lose the supporters you gained by lying and perhaps become known as "Rand Paul the flip-flopper." There will be fodder a-plenty to smear you with for the rest of your life. (Think "those letters" and your father. He lived decades of an exemplary "liberty for all" political life and yet remained haunted by the letters even in this last campaign. If you cannot win voters by saying what you really want do to, then what do you really win by lying to get votes?
4. Stop the nepotism. There are several incredibly talented people who have been identified by their work on your father's campaigns. They have proven their trustworthiness, and you need their "shadow" to clean the tarnished image of campaigns left by your father. The divide between the grassroots and official campaigns is a career killer, I suggest you embrace the people that put you in office - the grassroots. Picking "experienced" sycophants is putting power-mongers into the heart of your campaign. I don't care if they are your relatives, they are a liability if they have any personal political goals.
5. Consider the "Hail Mary." I DO understand this is a very dangerous move, but we are getting into desperate times. I realize it would likely cost you an election, but what would have more value - having you "win" a rigged election, or having you spend the next four years putting "the whole truth" our there? Not this issue or that one, but every time anyone asks you a question, lay it all out there. Anyone asks you about Israel, ask for an official apology for the USS Liberty before you will consider them an ally. If anyone tries to "getcha" on 9-11 - ask them about the disturbance of a crime scene that played out on national TV starting on 9-12. SOMEONE ordered the clean up BEFORE the investigation - that is a felony. Prove to be a champion of health liberty and tell the truth about marijuana - that no one has EVER died from its use and so its classification as a schedule 4 drug (or 5 or whatever it is these days) is absurd. Tell them you want to see clinical research into the findings of Rick Simpson. ("Run From The Cure.") You get the idea? TRUTH. It is unpopular, but rumor is it will set you free.