Regular Updates from RNC Winter Meeting in NCSubmitted by RobHino on Wed, 01/23/2013 - 13:48
My friends are providing regular updates from the RNC Winter Meeting on this Facebook events page:
I'll also try to keep up with other friends' FB pages who are in NC also attending the RNC meeting and post relevant stuff below.
I'll try to keep this thread updated with any interesting developments. The links have further discussion on FB.
Posted so far:
- From JB:Spring RNC Meeting tentatively announced for April 11-13. Supposed to be confirmed next week.
- From BD: Appreciate all of the support and confidence that many of you have offered to Mark, Violet and I through this entire process. I would also like to thank Mark for opportunity to serve as his campaign manager. We may not have succeeded in replacing Priebus but there is no doubt that he and others have heard our message loud and clear. We must stay vigilant and keep our presence known. They know we are watching and that we will take on any challenge, any fight no matter the odds or the cost.
- From JBPreibus announcing that the rules committee will be constituted by the spring meeting, it will be earlier than it has ever been, and it will include a business meeting of the full RNC (which is not normal) so rule 12 amendments can be considered for adoption.
- From AH:David Lewis -Committeeman from NC-- is a HUGE friend of midwives and homeschooling. He's also leaning to raw milk issues. Folks--seek him out and talk to him as your GOP rep in NC!
- From JL:Before the big votes for the officers today, we broke up into four regional breakfasts. Being from Texas, I went to the South Region breakfast. Each of the state chairs gave a quick speech about what he thought was important in his state. Steve Munisteri gave by far the longest speech, complete with handouts, on changing demographics and the need for outreach. I've heard his material before, and it is very well prepared, very well researched, and should shut up both Democrats and Republicans alike who think that Republicans can't win because they can't win Hispanic votes. Steve showed just how desperately important it is to win Hispanic votes in Texas, and outlined a track record of success unmatched by any other state save Florida (which has a large Cuban population that more reliably votes Republican than other Hispanic groups).
Chad Connolly(sp?) from South Carolina gave the second best speech of the morning, complaining about how the 2012 campaign was centrally directed, "one size fits all", and hopelessly out of tune with local needs. He stressed the importance of tailoring the message for each state.
The Florida chairman pointed out the huge difference between the under 30 vote (heavily Obama) and the older vote (heavily Romney). If you recall, Obama won Florida by only about 75,000 votes...the difference between the margins of the two age groups.
In his acceptance speech, Priebus specifically mentioned the successful Hispanic outreach that had taken place in Texas and Florida, and recommended it to the other 48 states. In my opinion, that may be the smartest thing he says all day.
- A bunch of photos
- Reince Priebus admits to reading the Daily Paul quite often!! Read the 3 consecutive comments by JL. New DP post on this topic!
- From ME's Ashley Ryan:At the request of our constituents in the Maine Republican Party and the conservative grassroots movement, Mark Willis and I respectfully stood in opposition of the reelection of Chairman Priebus. Although we were unsuccessful, I am proud and honored to have had the opportunity to have stood up for my state party and its principles and beliefs.
- New DP Post for discussion on RNC chairman vote
- From JB: Resolutions report adopted, this includes the resolution calling for the rules committee to get constituted ASAP and consider the rules debacle from the convention.
- CNN live stream of the meeeting: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/cvplive/cvpstream1
- Looks like C-SPAN will pick it up at 1pm for the elections as well. http://www.c-span.org/Live-Video/C-SPAN/
- From JB: Crocker giving counsel's report... case in Florida where the party was sued for the rules that led to Florida's delegation being cut in half on the grounds those rules violate the law (equal protection, etc.). Dismissed by the court for not stating an actionable claim (ie, the party gets to make its own rules and dominates over law), upheld on appeal.
Funny, Crocker always tells us in Texas we can't pass rules that attempt to be dominant over the law...
- From JB: Blackwell is not intending to try any resolution in place of a rules committee report, which isn't possible because the rules committee hasn't yet been constituted.
- Priebus Protesters
- What is going to happen now with the rules, or is it all over?
JB: That continues where it was, it was never tied to Mark's nomination. The resolution that got passed the committee should go before the entire RNC tomorrow, which is also when Morton should be making whatever motion he's still going to make without an actual Rules Committee meeting here....That resolution hasn't gone before the full RNC yet and whatever Morton is going to do hasn't even come up yet. He just got here today.
- From GT: Tonight Reince was pounced on by a pack of Rabid Liberty Mainers. Claimed Tampa was Romney's fault. Says he wants to bring in the Liberty movement and have an open discussion of the problems at the Spring RNC meeting. We firmly believe he is a big, fat liar. And by "bit, fat liar," we mean, "Principled Republican."
- From Neal Mccorkle: James Smack's reply to me as to why he withdrew his endorsement of Mark Willis
It was clear that he was not going to get the required third state for nomination. I did what I thought was in the best interest of my state party long term.
- A lot of debate and discussion going on with people in-the-know regarding Nevada's Committeeman James Smack's withdrawn support of Mark Willis here.
- The liberty table!
- From JL: Most of what's going on at this panel discussion is a series of audience questions and panel responses. The subject is outreach to groups that have not been voting Republican...various minority groups, the youth vote, etc.
The committeeman from the Virgin Islands gave a great speech to the panel and the audience about "getting out of your comfort zone", and that seemed to open the floodgates. The comments and questions got much more candid after that. About 4-5 speakers later, someone brought up Ron Paul voters. One panel member mentioned that they had been reaching out to Ron Paul voters (really? surprised me!) Another panel member mentioned that they had a son who was very libertarian but still voted (as if they all believe that libertarian youth vote at the same dismal rates as youth in general). She had a quote from him..."Mom, if you want us to come to your party, you have to give us a reason to like your party."
So...there's progress. Very SLOW progress from my perspective, but progress.
- From JL: North Carolina state chair talking about how they were able to be so much more successful in turning their blue state red than many other states.
"We reached out to everyone...Ron Paul types, libertarians, Tea Party...we reached out to everyone."
- From Jeff Larson: We now have an Asian elected Republican speaking. She showed us her weekly schedule. Typical week...she goes to like 7 Korean-American events, 5 Chinese-American events, 2 Filipino events, a Sihk event. She says she never sees caucasians there, since they don't even know about these things. She also says she is usually outnumbered 10:1 by Democrats.
- From JB: Something I think we all failed to note to FB yesterday is that when the Resolutions Committee Chair gave her report to the Executive Committee, she reported the resolution regarding forming a rules committee to look at the rules debacle as "a resolution calling for the standing rules committee to be constituted for the summer meeting".
I do not have text of the resolution itself but it really sounded like it was calling for formation of what was intended to be an ad-hoc rules committee to look specifically at the rules debacle, with a deadline of March 1st to meet.
This should come up again in the full meeting tomorrow, we'll see how it gets reported there and if corrections are offered if it's incorrect.
- From BD: IMPORTANT UPDATE: The nomination of Mark Willis for RNC Chair has suffered an irreparable setback. The National Committeeman from Nevada, James Smack has withdrawn his support for Mark's candidacy. We are still attempting to secure support from Missouri and Idaho but with less than 2 hours left the chances of securing the nomination seem remote. Be assured that we are not giving up and will continue fight for ballot access.
- From AH: Ron Paul campaign/supporters a topic of discussion in the panel. FB discussion here. Need to join the events page to view.
- ME RNC Committeewoman Ashley Ryan introduces Mark Willis, and the Willis speech. Video here.
- From BD: Just spoke to a few RNC members regarding the rules debacle. They made the point of telling me that the rules are unfortunate but not worth the public embarrassment of admitting that they were improperly passed. I was then offered the notion of how the DNC works and how they never question their elected party representatives...
- Questions from BD at Strategy Session
- Strategy Session- Part 1. Grassroots Outreach & GOTV Presentations photo
- Chuck Suter's RNC Winter Meeting photo stream
- "What do you think the party must do better? Where do we go in the future?" "We're listening." - Chairman Reince Priebus
- "What did we learn today? If you have a resolution you want passed, don't challenge the chairman." - Bora van Dormolen
- From Bryan Daugherty: I had an interesting conversation with Morton Blackwell about the rules as well as his current measure on addressing them. He agreed that the rules were improperly adopted. Where we differ is how to undo the mess. Continue Reading
- Final Agenda for this week's meetings, page 2, page 3
- MD State Chairman makes joke to Texas Liberty Delegates! From AH: Jeremy Blosser speaking with MD State Chair Alex Mooney. Alex saw Jeremy walking up to us and mentioned about the debacle at 2012 Republican National Convention: "I'm kinda surprised nobody from TX said anything about that....". Intentionally tweaked me and Jeremy, lol. Well played, Chairman Mooney, well played.... — at Following Liberty at the RNC Winter Meeting.
- Troll alert!!
- Photo stream from RNC Meeting in NC
- From AH: Fixin' to board the RNC Bus to dinner: hanging w/ TX State Chair Steve Munisteri.
- Urgent Message from the TX Crew at the Winter RNC meeting: Please start calling your RNC reps, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Jerry Doyle, Glenn Beck, Mark Levin, Laura Ingraham, and any others. Mark Willis needs a third state by 5pm on Thursday. We need people in every state to push for their RNC folks to AT LEAST support a nomination of Mark Willis for Chair, even if they won't vote for him. Let him be on the ballot and let the vote happen. RNC members need to hear from their constituents: if you get on, push the audience to call their RNC reps and plug www.stepdownnow.com!
- Update from JB: NV offering a resolution on party unity... "similar to Maine motion".
- Update from JB: Mark Willis offering resolution regarding 2012 rule adoption. It is identical to the one Maine passed except changing "Maine" to "National".
- Update from JB: Resolution on defunding Planned Parenthood.
- Update from JB: Resolution against trillion dollar coin.
- From Amy Hedtke: Committee meetings have begun. No recording/ Closed to press. I did get explicit permission to take a pic of the room so folks back home can get a feel for what it's like. Our TX crew is in the Resolutions Committee mtg: Several resolutions being considered. Watch Jeremy Blosser for more details on those. The Budget Committee is also mtg concurrently in another room. I was able to talk the guy stocking water bottles into giving me a coke. ;) at Following Liberty at the RNC Winter Meeting.
- Mark Willis speaks
- Twitter updates from Brian Daugherty.
- From JB: Resolutions Committee debating some kind of pro 2nd amendment resolution. Hard to hear.
- From G Taylor: Will be live tweeting the resolutions committee at 3pm. Taking up Willis resolution to roll back to 2008 Rules. http://Twitter.com/gingertaylor
- From J Blosser: All meetings other than Friday's are marked closed press, we expect this to prevent live streaming until then (keep in mind there is no open meeting rule for the RNC and they can vote any meeting closed at any time).
- Mark Willis, Grassroots challenger for RNC Chair, will be presenting his 8-point plan for the RNC to the public @ 1:00p, Westin Hotel, Charlotte, NC, Kings Room, 2nd floor.
- Bryan Daugherty will Live Stream the Mark Willis RNC press conference: 1p on the east coast! www.ustream.tv/channel/clpac - please share this event w/ allll your groups that have a vested interest in the GOP.