Reminiscent of DP's Vitality: To Make People Pay or...? (VIDEO)Submitted by A-B--B-A on Fri, 04/05/2013 - 05:04
This 2-month-old TED video features street body-movement artist and musician Amanda Palmer. In it she discusses asking people for money rather than figure out how to play with the big boys to sustain the big boys.
While about halfway through this video, I thought, Well, I'll be, her method to earn income is MN's method to earn money. That method is based on having money to get started, but at some point the start-up money runs out and hopefully by that time the product will have matured, allowing it to stand or sink on its own. If the product is good, it continues. If it's poor, it ends.
I have not contributed to the DP financially because my financial status prevents me from doing it. Despite my void there, I offer this idea, one I hope that will improve the ability of each DPer to convey and comprehend messages in his or her endeavor to restoring the constitution and freedom to our country, the United States of America: a white board.
I've pondered this idea as a tool for four months. For much of that time, I thought it would lead to confusion and, possibly, conflict. But the more I thought about this tool, the closer to convinced I grew that this tool would be tailored to person-to-person communication and avert collectivization because this tool would be accessible to all and voluntary. It would be an aid, a "sidebar" tool, if you will, something a member can use or not use (or maybe turn off and turn on). His choice. I said "closer to convinced" because I just don't know how this tool would manifest. So, a trial period would be valuable.
Even then, I thought, Would this tool cause MN and the mods stress -- would they view it as something they'd have to monitor? I don't know, but by and large, people here police themselves and turn to the moderators only when things get extreme, which I think is rare.
Before I sign off on this post, here are some white board components and questions I thought about:
1) Post Window: in a post (you know, this area) or in a window next to the post window. How many times can this white board be edited until it can't or would there be a limit on number of times editing it?
2) Comment Window and Reply Window: next to or inside the comment window. Once a comment is replied to, the white board is treated how a comment is, it cannot be entered. But fear not, every comment box comes with a blank white board and can be entered and edited until someone replies to the comment the board goes to.
3) MOST IMPORTANT: the marker of the white board is the mouse/cursor.
4) Dimensions: good question. Learn this as we go, trial and error. To allow enough illustration, consider three or four pages on a board.
5) Eraser: in whole per page or bits of illustration as if eraser is in user's hand who is moving it over whatever he wants to erase.
6) Magnifying glass: magnification percentage(s) to zoom in on illustrations if need be? Trial and error.
For what this tool is worth or could be worth, I hope MN comes across this post and ponders this tool. Maybe it can be implemented, maybe it can't. I thought I'd mention it finally.
Thank you to all you DPers. You guys make this website what it is and you make it my favorite place on the Internet. Thanks, guys.