VIDEO: Deadly Giant Snail Found In HoustonSubmitted by emalvini on Wed, 05/08/2013 - 22:50
VIDEO: Deadly Giant Snail Found In Houston
By Andrew Rafferty, Staff Writer, NBC News
Residents of a Houston neighborhood are being warned to stay away from giant African land snails after a woman found one in her garden and snapped a photo of it.
The snails, researchers warn, are potentially dangerous to touch, in part because they can carry meningitis. Scientists have warned anyone who comes in contact with them to wash their hands thoroughly.
"They also carry a parasitic disease that can cause a lot of harm to humans and sometimes even death," Autumn Smith-Herron, director of the Institute for the Study of Invasive Species at Sam Houston State University, told NBC Houston affiliate KPRC.