12 Good Reasons to Teach Your Children to Speed Read-Before a Collapse HitsSubmitted by georgestancliffe on Wed, 06/19/2013 - 04:52
By George Stancliffe
The world is going to hell in a handbasket. Most of us agree on that.
Homeschool parents are being punished as criminals in some countries, people are starving in Greece because of the government debts, violence in the Mideast is worse than before, the United States and Britain (the two cradles of liberty) are now 1984-style surveillance states. GMO food is sold everywhere, but is never labeled as GMO. Home remedies are banned, and toxic pharmaceuticals are legalized and pushed on us. There doesn’t seem to be a safe place on the planet.
So, what are you doing about it? How are you going to protect yourself and your family? Do you have a long-term plan? What about your children?
Are you doing anything to prepare your children to help lead us out of the next Dark Age before it can cement itself into place around us?
Certainly faith in God will be necessary, along with the basic skills of Reading, Writing and Arithmetic. Also imperative will be some essential survival skills. In anticipation of the upcoming hard times, many people are getting themselves prepared for a long period of uncertainty: extra food, first aid supplies, clothing, etc.
If you have children or grandchildren, you really should do some thinking about their future educational needs. When civilization takes a major hit, all the fluff will vanish right out of our education systems and institutions overnight. In fact, the real concern at that point will be survival itself--for ourselves and our families. Everything else will take a back seat.
However, SOME educational skills will be imperative. Especially if they can relate to immediate survival, or long-term survival.
I’ve done some thinking about this, and I believe that there is one overlooked educational skill that will be a godsend to those of our children who possess it during the coming bad years: Speed Reading.
Speed reading is the ability to see and understand several words at a time, instead of one-word-at-a-time the way they teach you in first grade. It’s actually the next step up in the progression of reading. There are actually two different ways to speed read. (Speed reading starts at about 450 words per minute, up to over 10,000 wpm). Unfortunately, our current school system doesn’t bother to introduce either skill to children.
However, this weakness of the school system doesn’t have to become your child’s weakness, especially in our rapidly deteriorating world. In fact, the necessity of raising good children who are also good speed readers has never been greater. Following are TWELVE reasons why you should seriously consider teaching your children to speed read now, before things get even worse:
1. Not as many reading materials will be available during the upcoming bad times. That means more people for each book available. So, what few useful books may then be available will need to be shared between many more people. That means that those who read these books will need to get their study done in less time per book. That way, others can have the opportunity to read them as well.
2. Study time will be greatly restricted. Make the most of it. When you are in survival mode, almost all of your time will be spend on SURVIVAL. This may be compounded by the fact that electricity may not even be available, so that any reading may be impossible at night. You will need to maximize the usefulness of the very little time left that you will have for reading.
3. What few books are available, on occasions, may not be available for much time, or opportunities may be so rare that a book (or books) must be shared among many people in a very short time—which means you may not have much time to read, understand and digest it.
4. Being able to read an entire book in 10 or 15 minutes (out of view of others, of course) could help minimize your exposure to danger. For example, if the NWO or other tyrannical system ends up in control in the area where you live, key books (like the Bible) could end up being banned. (Christians are already marginalized. In circumstances like this, it could be advantageous for you to keep a low profile about your speed reading skill). The less time an important-but-banned book is in your hands, the smaller your chances of being caught red-handed by any future secret police. This is not a groundless speculation. Human history is filled with examples of great books being banned. The Bible is only the most famous example. Even 35 years ago a Russian refugee that I know would have been subjected to a 25-year prison sentence if she had been caught with her copy of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn’s Gulag Archipelago!
5. Your kids [not you] are most likely the ones who will become the most proficient at this. Just like foreign languages, children pick up on speed reading quickly and easily. (Also, children aren't as steeped in the bad habits of slow reading, regression, vocalization, etc. that most of us adults are). Kids often catch on to the basic speed reading skill within a week or two--and they can maintain an amazing fluency if they discipline themselves to utilize the skill for at least 15 minutes per day over a period of several months.
Curiously, you don’t first need to be a speed reader in order to teach your children this skill. Just give them the appropriate assignments and they’ll start developing the skill naturally. In fact, I personally know some people who learned this skill by accident when they were children.
6. We are going to wade through some serious difficulties in the next few years, but at the same time, we’ll need some great leaders who are rooted in the great classic books of all time (including the scriptures), and who are capable of sorting through what’s available in order to recognize key information and ideas when they arise. This will require the ability to read many books, beginning now. People who start taking the time--NOW--to read as many of the great classics of western civilization during the time that we have left will have an advantage over those who get a later start. Then when the hammer hits, they will have that much more of an advantage than they would have had if they hadn't read as much.
7. Perhaps your child is gifted, and you don’t know it. Contrary to what you might expect, those who become the best speed readers are many children who come from the ranks of the so-called Learning Disabled!! It’s almost universally true that those who have Attention Deficit Disorder (both ADD and ADHD), as well as those who have Dyslexia, do extremely well at speed reading. Many of these children also have photographic memories. These children are truly our brightest and best. Historically, many of our greatest leaders have come from this group. In my opinion, it may be more than coincidence that the same system that dumbs down our schools is also making such an effort to drug these same children with brain-damaging anti-depressants.
8. The next depression/earthquake/pandemic/war/catastrophe etc. may.............
See rest of article here: