UPDATED! Oklahoma City Hospital Posts Surgery Prices Online, Creates Bidding War, Prices DropSubmitted by RobHino on Wed, 07/10/2013 - 19:01
OKLAHOMA CITY – An Oklahoma City surgery center is offering a new kind of price transparency, posting guaranteed all-inclusive surgery prices online. The move is revolutionizing medical billing in Oklahoma and around the world...
...“When we first started we thought we were about half the price of the hospitals,” Dr. Lantier remembers. “Then we found out we’re less than half price. Then we find out we’re a sixth to an eighth of what their prices are. I can’t believe the average person can afford health care at these prices.”
Their goal was to start a price war and they did...
...The difference in price is staggering.
News Channel 4′s Ali Meyer obtained bills from the metro’s three largest medical centers: Mercy Medical Center, Integris Baptist Medical Center and OU Medical Center.
- Mercy Hospital charged $16, 244 for a breast biopsy; the procedure will cost $3,500 at Surgery Center of Oklahoma.
- OU Medical Center billed $20,456 for the open repair of a fracture; the procedure will cost $4,855 at Surgery Center of Oklahoma.
- OU Medical Center billed $21,556 for a gall bladder removal surgery; the procedure will cost $5,865 at Surgery Center of Oklahoma.
- OU Medical Center billed $23,934 for an ankle arthroscopy; the procedure will cost $3,740 at Surgery Center of Oklahoma.
- Integris Baptist billed $37,174 for a hysterectomy; the surgery costs $8,000 at Surgery Center of Oklahoma.
Continue Reading & Watch a DIFFERENT Video than embedded above: http://kfor.com/2013/07/08/okc-hospital-posting-surgery-pric...
UPDATE!: Just found out one of the main doctors there is a Ron Paul supporter!
Dr. G. Keith Smith, M.D.
FEC.gov search turned up a donation to Ron Paul in 2002. This guy liked RP before it was cool! http://images.nictusa.com/cgi-bin/fecimg/?22992005021
His blog boasts, "I blog about free markets in medical care and transparent pricing."
I think it's safe to say he's a friend of liberty! Show this guy some love!
UPDATE 2: Dr. G. Keith interviewed by Lew Rockwell