4 votes

EXCLUSIVE: Scientists Create Human Chromosome In Breakthrough That Could Revolutionize Medicine

EXCLUSIVE: Scientists Create Human Chromosome In Breakthrough That Could Revolutionize Medicine

STEVE CONNOR | THURSDAY 11 JULY 2013

Scientists have created genetically-engineered mice with artificial human chromosomes in every cell of their bodies, as part of a series of studies showing that it may be possible to treat genetic diseases with a radically new form of gene therapy.

In one of the unpublished studies, researchers made a human artificial chromosome in the laboratory from chemical building blocks rather than chipping away at an existing human chromosome, indicating the increasingly powerful technology behind the new field of synthetic biology.

Read more: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/exclusive-scientis...

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Except for random mutations their are no genetic diseases.

Their are epigenetic diseases where malnutrition turns genes off and others on.

What problem are they trying to solve?

Free includes debt-free!

Dammit. I'm obligated to explain this now and I'm in a hurry.

Before I explain the concept, I have to say that epigenetics is one of the most misunderstood concepts in alternative medicine. Paul_S. you are well-intentioned, but you are way off base about genetics.

Your claim about no genetic disease is just a flat-out denial of reality. Some diseases are the result of a mutation of a single gene, like Sickle Cell Disease. Sickle Cell is not a malnutrition disorder and this is an easily proven inheritable disease. Two heterozygous carriers of the affected allele have a 25% chance of offspring with homozygous sickle-cell, 50% heterzygous carrier, and 25% unaffected. This is classic Mendelian genetics. This has NOTHING to do with nutrition.

Please read David Gorski's take on epigenetics. This is actually the most frustrated I have seen him in an essay (I'm assuming It's because he wrote this during a period last year where alternative medicine advocates were blasting the internet with flagrant nonsense).

http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2013/02/11/epigenetics-you...
http://scienceblogs.com/insolence/2012/04/13/epigenetics-doe...

Later I will explain the genetically modified knock out mice and why they are essential for the future of medicine.

This is very exciting news 10 years ago!

Biomedical sciebtists have been doing this for a long time. New monoclonal antibodies using this technology are coming to the market faster than any one person can keep up. Pharmacology professors no longer use textbooks because they are too slow to update.

This gives new meaning to the phrase: Are you a man or a mouse?

Come on, squeak up!

2 parts i'd say :)

2 parts i'd say :)

"Put a piece of cheese on the

"Put a piece of cheese on the floor and you'll find out." - Julius Henry Marx

Andrew Napolitano for President 2016!
http://andrewnapolitano.com/index

"Patriotism should come from loving thy neighbor, not from worshiping Graven images." - ironman77