-22 votes

Stupid Is As Stupid Does: "Grand Theft Auto 5," $1 Billion In Sales

The entertainment barometer used to measure exactly just how sick people are shot off the world charts today.

Grand Theft Auto 5 is the most popular entertainment product ever sold. Millions of people all over the world purchased this game for about $60. After tax, I wouldn't be surprised if the total tally came to $66.66.

This leaves the debut of the Apple Computer, the movie, "E.T.," and the I-phone in the dust in terms of barometric dollar sales.

Without question, and beyond a reasonable doubt games like Grand Theft Auto are created and being used for all the wrong reasons.

Your XBox is watching you, literally.

I was in to Super Mario Bros. as a kid. I never liked violent video games. Mike Tyson's Punchout was about the most, "violent," game I ever played. After finally figuring out how to beat Soda Popinksi, I beat Tyson too and then moved on to bigger and better things, stopped wearing my pajamas all day, and grew up.

I know adults today who still like to play video games like Grand Theft Auto. I try not to judge them, but can't help myself.

Don't they have anything else better to do? This is what they do in their spare time? Why are they so attracted to...evil, and pay for it?

Dirty deeds, done dirt cheap.

Why would a parent ever buy such a thing for their son or daughter?

Most parents would more than likely be better off buying their kids a rifle or shotgun and teaching them how to use it rather than buying them a video game that will teach them how to act like evil thugs and lawless criminals.

What is Grand Theft Auto and all related super violent video games really all about?

Visual Imprinting: To impress or stamp (a mark or outline) on a surface, body, or mind.

Related reading:

Grand Theft Auto 5 becomes ‘fastest selling entertainment product ever’ after passing $1bn mark

http://metro.co.uk/2013/09/21/grand-theft-auto-5-becomes-fas...

Grand Theft Auto 5 has passed another sales milestone after shifting £1bn worth of copies across the world in just three days – making it the fastest ever entertainment product to reach the magic sum.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/grand-theft-auto-v-...

Grand Theft Auto V to see billion-dollar bonanza even in Washington wake

In GTA V, players can hijack everything from motorcycles to zeppelins and kill targets with a variety of weapons — machetes, AK-47s, grenade launchers and sniper rifles.

In one episode, players are asked to pull out a victim’s tooth using a pair of pliers, and The Mirror reported players even waterboard the victim.

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.

Who let Tipper Gore out of

Who let Tipper Gore out of her cage?

"In reality, the Constitution itself is incapable of achieving what we would like in limiting government power, no matter how well written."

~ Ron Paul, End the Fed

We need an entertainment czar

Don't they have anything else better to do? This is what they do in their spare time?

Whose job is it to decide what someone chooses to do in their free time?

Who has a right to tell someone that what they choose as a hobby is not a "good enough" use of their time?

WearsMyLiberty.com - Liberty shirts and Ron Paul shirts to spread the message

bigmikedude's picture

I don't know who thinks what of it

but we have it, and my stepson and I have played all of the GTA's together since he was 9 yrs old. He heard about it at school and practically begged to play it. I'll be working on GTA 5 tonight with him in fact.

He's 21 now, never murdered anyone, never been in trouble, despises drugs and alcohol and avoids kids that do them, never swore in front of us until he was about 20, and was a straight A student that has done his own laundry since his middle school-age life, and never had to be asked more than once to help us when we need it. And most importantly, he does it because he wants to and chooses to, not because he is forced to.

We did and still do get nothing but compliments about his behavior. He works his butt off at his job daily, and pitches in around here on his own.

Video games have nothing to do with how they turn out - parenting has every bit to do with it. Part of that parenting is being there with them to explain the difference between fantasy and reality vs. attempting to sterilize and shelter them from the real world out there that they're going to see sooner or later anyway, and having them discover this stuff at friends houses without your oversight and direction.

Parents, and people in general, need to stop blaming the video games - and start accepting responsibility and blaming themselves.

ZooAmerica...

Check this out.

http://allhiphop.com/2013/09/26/fail-of-the-day-man-steals-t...

The slogan press on has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.

- Calvin Coolidge

Moral decline is a result of collectivism, not the other way

I'm not sure where you're going with this but if you're suggesting a statutory ban, go sell it on some statist site.

Like idolatry of professional sports, decline of work ethic, and the disintegration of the family, the attraction of vicarious violence is a result of collectivism. Just like at the end of the Roman Empire.

Fortunately we have video games to we don't need lions and Christians.

People are trapped and unable to change their world. Part of the trap is physical, the welfare system, the fascist protection of big corporations, part of it is mental, being programmed in socialized indoctrination facilities.

Regardless people feel trapped, because they are trapped, and have a psychic angst like any caged animal. If you remove a relatively benign outlet like video games you are asking for trouble.

You can't fix the result of slavery by more whips. Freedom is the only cure for slavery.

I am mostly nonviolent and nonaggression, but I like GTA.

I don't have an XBox, wouldn't but it either, as I hate Microsoft and won't support the company. I also don't have a PS3. I would, however, buy a PS3 if I was a gamer because I like SONY. That said, while there are definitely evil things in GTA, being able to go on police murdering sprees is great fun. The graphics, the detail, the gameplay, the driving, the action, the realness, etc. of GTA V, from what I have watched on YouTube, is un-frickin'-believable. I won't buy it, but I would play it!

It's a video game

Peddle your anti-freedom of choice drivel elsewhere.

Straight out of MSNBC...

You are more than welcome to not like video games, but to make broad brush statements and straw man arguments, and then attack them with unfounded emotional rants presented as unequivocal fact is utterly ridiculous. Even the title begins with a presupposition.

>> "Without question, and beyond a reasonable doubt games like Grand Theft Auto are created and being used for all the wrong reasons."

Without question, and beyond a reasonable doubt? This kind of unsupported rhetoric is the kind of thing I would expect from MSNBC.

>> "I never liked violent video games."

So don't play them.

>> "I try not to judge them, but can't help myself."

At least you realize you're being judgmental.

>> "Don't they have anything else better to do? This is what they do in their spare time? Why are they so attracted to...evil, and pay for it?"

I don't know what your hobbies are, and don't care to judge them. Once again, a magnanimous presupposition that games are "evil"

>> "Why would a parent ever buy such a thing for their son or daughter?"

That's a great question. It is a Mature game. Perhaps without realizing it, you have struck the real chord of discontent and underlying issue: PARENTING.

When I was a kid, I played Dungeons & Dragons. Daytime talk TV shows claimed it made kids kill people and worship the devil (which doesn't even make the slightest bit of sense if you knew anything about the game). I played all manner of roleplaying games from pen/paper/dice to video games, and have most recently completed the last of the complete line of Assassin's Creed video games. Due to my supposedly uncanny ability to discern reality from moving pictures on a screen, I am able to NOT have the desire to kill people in any way shape or form.

Video games are FICTION. It's ironic that those who blindly rage against "violent video games" are the ones who cannot seem to separate fiction from reality. It's amazing that water guns, laser tag, movies, and books have survived the attacks of the ignorant thus far. Can we ban Hot Wheels cars, because they've created a generation of crazed dangerous city-drivers? Let's ban rocks, that were thrown at twigs floating down a stream that represented enemy battleships.

Man! If we could just get those terrorists to stop playing violent video games, the world would be at peace.

I find your post demeaning and contemptible.

IRONY:

Your post is actually pulling in ads for GTAV on this very site:

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience"—Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

What in the...

I don't even...

Sorry, couldn't finish my thought because I was too busy driving my truck down the sidewalk and enjoying the thumping sounds of people's skulls going all "watermelon" on my bumper at 70 mph.

Do you watch Breaking Bad? Are you outraged by it? Now stop acting as if you're hurting actual people in the game. They're pixels, for god's sake. 99.9999999% of people who play violent video games understand this. If you can't understand it, then it's YOU who has a problem because you can't distinguish fiction from reality.

And blaming video games/TV/movies/music for "corrupting" people completely disregards individual responsibility. It's no different than blaming guns. Stop blaming inanimate objects for what you perceive as society's problems.

Personally, I'm a little less concerned about some poor little pixelated characters getting their poor little pixelated teefers pulled out and some pixelated gangsters robbing a pixelated bank than I am about all those real tax dollars being spent on providing aid for real terrorists and our real irresponsible bombing of real third-world villages and real people.

And my copy came out to $64 and change, thank you very much.

Simple Facts and Plain Arguments
A common sense take on politics and current events.

www.simplefactsplainarguments.com

You are complaining...

....about a video game to a group of people who spend most of their time chatting in online forums. I don't think you are preaching to the right choir. This is a forum for liberty, not a forum for telling people what they should do with their spare time.

Free market capitalism isn't right for America because it works better. It's right because it's free (and it works better).

It's great satire on American society

Check out these in-game commercials:

Sue Murray for Governor (they have so-called liberals pegged)
http://youtu.be/d10GawyQKNk

Ammunation (gun/survival/prepper store)
http://youtu.be/Iak9rHQf0bI

The radio spots are even funnier; they have a longer running time. Too bad nobody has put them on YouTube yet.

Oh man i loved the radio

Oh man i loved the radio spots in GTAIV, youll just be driving around and you have to stop sometimes becuase its so funny.

We all share this eternally evolving present moment- The past and future only exist as inconsequential mental fabrications.

Yes

I especially loved the Eugenics commercials.

As an adult man in my 30s, I love me some GTAV!

I grew up playing on a Commodore64, then Atari, NES with Mario Bros., and so on. In recent years as I have become more and more spiritually aware of myself and my surroundings I also became vividly aware of the violence, horror, etc., in entertainment in general. Most shows I used to watch now turn my stomach and I rarely even watch TV anymore. Most games I used to play do the same.

However, here's what I'll say in my defence of Grand Theft Auto: You can play how YOU want to play. No other franchise in gaming has that kind of freedom. Most games FORCE you to do things only one way as they're tightly scripted with cutscenes and QuickTime moments that remove you from making choices and literally force you to do something violent.

I admit I lined up for the 12am launch of GTAV. I've played about half of the story so far, and it hasn't been too bad. Mostly I'm either driving around AVOIDING pedestrians, playing golf or tennis, flying around in an airplane taking in the artistry of video game design, or even hiking up mountains and watching the beautiful virtual sunset. I'm sure other people are doing similar and, yes, others are causing carnage on the virtual streets.

Just like in real life, in GTAV you are given the freedom to do and play what you want when you want to so any kind of criticism of the game's violence should be put on the individual player who is CHOOSING to play the game that way and NOT put it on the game itself.

People really need to take responsibility for their own consumption of entertainment and the types they consume and PARENTS need to be responsible for their children and what games they buy them. Games have ratings just like movies do yet so many Adult or Mature games like GTA end up in their hands. People are ignorant when it comes to games because they see them all as "games for children" and that is their own uninformed problem. No parent takes their kids to an R-rated movie because they understand the ratings system because they grew up on television and movies as their main form of entertainment.

I grew up on games and UNDERSTAND fully how insane some games are. I won't play them myself and I certainly won't be buying inappropriate games for my kids. I also won't let them watch violent shows or movies. Game consoles have age restriction settings for parents to set that will not allow games to be played who's rating exceeds the child's age.

The tools are there for parents, problem is, most parents are tools.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience"—Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Not to detract from your point but

plenty of games afford you that sort of freedom.

That actually adds to the point :)

I know there are others as well that allow for similar freedom, I was just using GTA as the singled-out example.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience"—Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Another notable example

is the Fallout series, since you can beat all of them without harming a single person or animal.

Or, you can do what I did and get shot at by an entire platoon because you accidentally stole a fork off a picnic table.

A signature used to be here!

tasmlab's picture

The dangers of detective novels

If you read old libertarian-ish text, like Ayn Rand articles from the fifties, the left back then was making the same arguments about the popularity of detective novels and how they were ruining the morality of society.

Currently consuming: Gatto: "Underground history of education..", FDR; Wii U; NEP Football

99.9% Kids Don't Act Out Violent Video Games

Million and millions of kids, like me (big kid now), have been playing violent video games since the first Mortal Kombat came out (am I dating myself?). Millions and millions of kids don't act out the violence that they see in the video game. They understand the difference between reality and video games.

If kids really acted out what they saw on the video games, then millions and millions of kids would be committing violent acts every single day. It is exactly the same as watching violence on TV or reading about violence in a book. It does not mean that the audience is going to become violent.

I grew up playing violent video games and I absolutely abhor real life violence, but video games are nothing but pixels on the screen.

I started by playing Duke Nukem at age 8.

Yet somehow I grew up to not like strip clubs, swearing, or mass murder of otherworldly creatures.

Simple Facts and Plain Arguments
A common sense take on politics and current events.

www.simplefactsplainarguments.com

Idle hands

are the devils workshop.

I thought the economy

was bad.

GTA is a disturbing commentary on what is deemed entertainment.

The law cannot make a wicked person virtuous…God’s grace alone can accomplish such a thing.
Ron Paul - The Revolution

Setting a good example is a far better way to spread ideals than through force of arms. Ron Paul

yeah

How dare a product sell so well! The nerve of some people!!! If only we had an even more restrictive market...like Australia! /eyeroll

The less someone knows about video games in general, the more likely they are to bash games like Grand Theft Auto or Saint's Row. This nonsense has been going on since the days of Custer's Revenge for the Atari and it's always the same spiel.

I think more people would do well to realize that nowadays, many video games are NOT designed for children, and many developers go out of their way to make this point; one that seems to fall on selectively deaf ears more often than not.

Beyond Sim City, I'm not much of a 'gamer', but I do see them as forms of interactive escapism. There's a lot more to most modern games beyond "press X". Some are more interested in telling a story, or helping the player create one, others strive for accurate simulation. But perhaps most shocking of all, is that most video games are designed so that people may pass the time! In that respect, how is a game of chess any more of a waste of time if I happened to be doing it on a machine with someone who lives in Bangkok?

Some of the connections people try making to video games are even worse than the ones people try making with gun owners, people who like heavy metal/hip-hop, et cetera.

Because, y'know, if the older generation doesn't understand/like something, then clearly it's bad and designed to corrupt the yoots.

edit; typo

A signature used to be here!

The game it self is irrelevant

Games content may be pretty intense but it is just a game, IMO its better to do it there than in real life. And before the question comes up NO just because you do something in a fictional world doesn't mean you end up doing it in reality. Also it is 18 age rated parents would be irresponsible if they let their 12 year old kids play this.

In the end it is just a game. The content it self is not what is dangerous with games, the danger with games is that it in some cases works like a drug, you get addicted. I myself have been playing computer games for a big chunk of my childhood, it was my way of escaping reality and I still do it every now and then. But it can become a problem if you don't want to go back into reality as it consumes all you time.

Not saying they are all bad, they are not, in fact reality could learn a few things from them actually. Most successful games have a constant feedback of your actions in the form of constant progression and achievements, to keep their player hooked. Adapting it to the real world could be very beneficial.

I'm not gonna bash the

I'm not gonna bash the gamers, whatever floats yer boat, but like you I find gaming to be a waste of time (perhaps unless one's goal is to master hand eye coordination so as to qualify as a drone operator for the empire).

There is so much REALITY to learn, to experience, to do in world one!

But maybe that's just me. I can't stand to waste time. I'll also leave a show after just 20 minutes if it doesn't hold my interest.

I must be willing to give up what I am in order to become what I will be. Albert Einstein

The only thing that needs to

The only thing that needs to fear violence being visited upon it is my video game console when it doesn't save the game after I've just killed ultra uber megaloboss man in an epic battle.

I think these games should have a mod so you can go and rant from a pulpit...and then other players can knock you off it with an RC helicopter =)

It's very obvious you have never played a GTA game...

It's very obvious you have never played a GTA game...

You run around virtually killing corrupt cops and destroying the government/mafia enterprise.

If there is a hidden agenda to brainwash the masses in the game they are not sending a "you must love government" vibe. More like f*ck the government and run over them...

Tools of war are not always obvious. The worst weapon is an idea planted in the mind of man. Prejudices can kill, suspicion can destroy, and a thoughtless, frightened search for a scapegoat has an everlasting fallout all of its own.

Very true!!

There are so many themes in GTAV that seem like they came right off the pages of the DP. There are references to corrupt banksters, secret societies, private military contractors, the surveillance state, big brother, etc., etc.,

Seems to me like GTAV is providing more of an education than most mainstream entertainment is.

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience; we are spiritual beings having a human experience"—Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

This game has many mind programming agendas

GTA 5 also has a ufo submerged underwater which the main character can find.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wc8R7-Vo2s

The slogan press on has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race. No person was ever honored for what he received. Honor has been the reward for what he gave.

- Calvin Coolidge