33 votes

Obamacare Loophole!

There is no way I'm participating in Obamacare, so I started looking at how much of a fine I'm going to get saddled with, protest, ignore etc. and I found a loophole!

According to this article there are a few exemptions from both Obamacare and the penalty. One is as follows:

- You’re a member of a recognized religious sect with religious objections to insurance, including Social Security and Medicare.

I would say the passion for freedom I've witnessed here on the DP borders on religious fervor! I think we should become the Constitution Faithful and get out of this horrible law. We would probably have the biggest congregation in the country.

Trending on the Web

Comment viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
meekandmild's picture

we want to get rid of Obamacare?

lets get it on a national ballot to nullify it.

Dogs are also exempt


The Diamond Dog is a real cool cat. | Reporting on the world from an altitude of 420.

"Recognized" by Whom?

As with all such loopholes, "recognized" by whom?

What do you think? http://consequeries.com/

Not much of a choice

if you are like many of us here that has spent many years working in the private sector paying into social security. I know the return sucks, never see what went in, but hope to try and draw some of it personally. Time will tell...a Carlin thing...they got you by the balls man...ha ha


I don't believe in forced government healthcare,

It's against my religion. I believe in personal responsibility wellness. I refuse to participate.

I'm not sure how it will all play out but I hoping millions more will stand with me a refuse to participate.

I would also love to see a million person sit in in DC.

"A vote for the lesser of two evils is a vote to keep things the same", Buckminster Fuller..
A choice for liberty is always a choice for liberty.

I am exempt from Obamacare!!!

Last year I called my Congressman and asked how I too could "opt out" of the PPACA.
The answer was that I actually do not qualify for coverage under the ACA.

As a Vietnam Era Veteran covered by the G.I. Bill, I do not qualify.
I am covered by the VA.

Yeah! I don't have to have government health care!

Exercise Liberty...today!

America Rising.
The Constitution Stands.

"That the pen is mightier than the sword would be proven false; if I should take my sword and cut off the hand that holds the pen" - American Nomad

You realize that the VA is,

You realize that the VA is, quite literally, government health care, right?

Yes. Hence the punch line.

Which was, "Wait...what?"!!!

Exercise Liberty!

America Rising.
The Constitution Stands.

"That the pen is mightier than the sword would be proven false; if I should take my sword and cut off the hand that holds the pen" - American Nomad

christian scientists

"The religion's adherents, known as Christian Scientists, subscribe to a radical form of philosophical idealism, believing that spiritual reality is the only reality and that the material world is an illusion.[5] This includes the view that sickness and death are illusions caused by mistaken beliefs, and that the sick should be treated by a special form of prayer intended to correct those beliefs, rather than by medicine." <- from wikipedia

How does one "prove" a

How does one "prove" a religious belief to the almighty government? Do they force you to sign a religious exemption form? Now I'm starting to seriously consider this idea!

IRS form 4029 worked for me.

I'm exempt from Social Security & Medicare taxes on self-employment income -- legally. Pretty sure it will keep me free of Obamacare too.

Way back when, I joined the Universal Life Church and got a ministerial certificate. I then filed IRS Form 4029 as a minister -- and the Gestapo approved it. That was upwards of twenty years ago. So far, no problems. I don't know if the IRS is still as easy, handing out these exemptions, but it's DAMN sure worth a try. Unfortunately, the exemption only applies to income from self-employment -- if you're a wage slave, it's not the way out.

Recommended reading: The Most Dangerous Superstition by Larken Rose

The form in question is

now 4361, for self employed ministers and related only. 4029 relates to being a member of a religion that is opposed to same.

I used 4361. ;)

You're right.

4361 is the form for ministers, and that's the one they approved for me. I ALSO filed form 4029, in an attempt to get exempted from Social Security & Medicare taxes on wages from a job. They turned me down on that one, because I already had an exemption as a minister. Some genius at the IRS "explained" that form 4361 is for ministers, and 4029 is for other members of a religious sect. I wrote back a letter of protest, asserting that my religious convictions applied to wages, as well as self-employment income. They ignored it. Has anybody here had a Form 4029 approved?

It worked out for me eventually: I've been exclusively self-employed for the last fifteen years or so.

Recommended reading: The Most Dangerous Superstition by Larken Rose

How about getting a shut off notice?

That seems like the easiest to me. Skip the bill for a couple months, once you get the golden ticket, err shut off notice, then pay the past due you wouldn't ever need to actually lose power. Repeat every year.

Sure it would mess up your credit score but that's just another way for the Man to hold a gun to your head and force you to play his debt game anyways...

Two words...

I forgot.

Tweeting occasionally as himself @cudnoski on the twitter.

It's called an HCSM

If you are not in one you are not exempt. See very bottom of comments to this Op.

I hope I can get out.

I'm Catholic. I hope that qualifies, but from Obama's rhetoric, I doubt it :/

"The Yankee is compelled to toil to make the world go around."
-Admiral Raphael Semmes, CSN

That would still have me

That would still have me filling out paperwork and looking over my shoulder. That is not freedom.


It can't be new according to

It can't be new according to the IRS...see last line. It probably refers to the Amish. Health Care Sharing ministries is the way to go.

Taken from:


Members of Recognized Religious Sects

If you are a member of a recognized religious sect, or a division of a recognized religious sect, you can apply for an exemption from payment of social security and Medicare taxes on both your self-employment income and the wages you earn from an employer who also has an exemption.

Exception. If you received social security benefits or payments, or anyone else received these benefits or payments based on your wages or self-employment income, you cannot apply. However, if you pay your benefits back, you may be considered for exemption. Contact your local Social Security Administration office to find out the amount to be paid back.
Eligibility requirements. To claim this exemption from SE tax, all the following requirements must be met.
You must file Form 4029, discussed later under Requesting Exemption—Form 4029 .

As a follower of the established teachings of the sect or division, you must be conscientiously opposed to accepting benefits of any private or public insurance that makes payments for death, disability, old age, retirement, or medical care, or provides services for medical care.

You must waive all rights to receive any social security payment or benefit and agree that no benefits or payments will be made to anyone else based on your wages and self-employment income.

The Commissioner of Social Security must determine that:

Your sect or division has the established teachings as in (2) above,

It is the practice, and has been for a substantial period of time, for members of the sect or division to provide for their dependent members in a manner that is reasonable in view of the members' general level of living, and

The sect or division has existed at all times since December 31, 1950.

This arrangement is blatantly

This arrangement is blatantly unconstitutional.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion...", no ifs ands or buts!

Why hasn't this been challenged?

Praise the Lord

and pass the ammo.


I'm considered a potential terrorist for following Ron Paul, then that should be enough for an exemption.

Here's another way...

Cease being a federal citizen of D.C., and a direct subject of Congress. Become a national of the State in which you were born, your rightful country of origin according to international law, on which this Union was built. Learn that it is the Private Law of the 14th Amendment that binds you and enslaves you. Emancipate yourself from federal jurisdiction and live free under the Common Law jurisdiction of the States.

The remedy to all the Union's ills lies in this act. Stop consenting by being a citizen of a government that has no country, just citizens. Repopulate the true countries of the Union: the States.

Read the Red Amendment: http://pacalliance.us/redamendment/

Spread the word. :-)

~ Engage in the war of attrition: http://pacalliance.us/redamendment/

All the Ways to Get Out of Obamacare


"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know Peace." - Jimi Hendrix

Sweet! Looks like I'm considered exempt!

Although, I'm disgusted to know someone thinks they have a right to force or exempt me from doing something I don't want to do.

Freedom is not doing whatever you want to do. Freedom is NOT having to do what you don't want to do.

I'm a serial entrepreneur and liberty activist from Texas!


One note

Freedom is being able to do whatever you want to do too, as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else. If you want to smoke pot or drink raw milk etc. that's nobody else's business.


My family is a member of Christian Healthcare Ministries, which is one of the qualifying HCSMs that is exempt from the mandate. My employer offers health care, but we refuse to participate. It is awesome to know that my hard earned money isn't going to fat cat health insurance corporatists, nor is it being used for abortions and sex change operations. It is being used to help fellow Americans directly. Opt out of the system and join us. http://www.chministries.org/

I joined 3 days ago