How about a 'Pragmatic Libertarian' movement ?Submitted by punkouter on Wed, 10/09/2013 - 12:42
The problem with libertarian movement being ruled by the extremes is it scares off people who agree with most of the ideas.. especially on the democratic side form joining.. I propose a slightly different version of a libertarian platform that would bring more people to the party and it is how I feel..
What remains is :
- Victimless crimes should not be crimes
- It is your business what drugs you put in your body but it is also your responsibility to have it not intrude on others
- Anti-nation building. Anti-world police.. Lets leave other nations alone.. but lets freely trade with them.. What is so isolationist about that? I think not being allowed to visit Cuba is isolationist.
But where I differ is :
- Universal health care. Until hospitals just toss people out on the street to die we are paying for it anyways.. So lets atleast make it official and create a minimal health plan for those who cannot afford it.. Create a market and competition so that a pencil at a hospital does not cost $300
- Social programs. If we have people growing up who are going to be a burden to society I would like to give them chances rather than ignore them and let them fail and cost the system in the end. I feel that anyone who wants to be educated should have a chance to do so.. Give them all the tools they need.. But if they are simply lazy I don't want them to be rewarded for that.. Anyways if we were not for being the worlds police we would have more than enough money for this and universal health care..
- Enough with the false flags / everything is a conspiracy! I worked in the government.. Government employees are too inept to do all these things in secret ... And even if they are all true.. Still.. Id rather concentrate on practical solutions to big issues and not allow the media use this obsession with conspiracies to bring the party down. I love Jesse Ventura.. But wish we could talk about the main issues and not have half his interviews be about Building 7.
Anyone with me ? I am 38 yo/computer programmer/always disliked both parties and group think/my team against your team.. I just think we could have a party with more popular support while maintaining the main concepts of libertarianism if people were not so rigid and more pragmatic. I want to belong to the party of logic.