Chris Christie on the RecordSubmitted by ProudAmericanFirst on Thu, 11/07/2013 - 12:41
- Chris Christie was born September 6, 1962 in Newark, New Jersey.
- George Mason University's Mercatus Center released a working paper ranking the solvency of the 50 states finding that Governor Chris Christie’s New Jersey is in the worst financial state of any state in the union while also being the worst in budget and long-run solvency. http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/01/16/Study-Chr...
- Christie campaigned for Presidents George H.W. Bush and George W. Bush; the latter appointed him as United States Attorney for New Jersey, a position he held from 2002 to 2008.
- On November 05, 2013, Christie told South Carolina Republicans that he wants to help Senator Lindsey Graham, who is facing a conservative primary challenge next year.
- Christie threaded the needle on the Dream Act, a law that would permit students who entered the country illegally to pay in-state tuition rates. Two years ago he said the state couldn't afford to extend tuition equality to "people who haven't followed the rules." A few days ago in front of a largely Hispanic crowd, he said it's time to reconsider the measure. "I've never been opposed to tuition equality," Christie said. Source: Newark Star-Ledger on 2013 N.J. Governor debates , Oct 16, 2013
- Gov. Christie allowed $25 million in federally funded ads to feature him in the middle of an election year running in states beyond New Jersey, taken from the $60 billion in federal emergency disaster funding allocated to states affected by Sandy.
- Governor Christie supports gun control laws. He has supported the assault weapons ban, opposes concealed carry laws, and supports the New Jersey one gun per month law.
- While running for Assemblyman in 1995 Chris Christie put out a campaign flyer noting his support for the assault weapons ban. He called the support for repealing the ban dangerous, crazy, and radical.
- In 2009 while seeking the Governor's office in 2009, US Attorney Christie put out a fact sheet noting that he supported New Jersey's gun laws and opposed concealed carry laws. He mocked the idea that he "stood with the NRA."
- After assuming office, Governor Christie supported a recently passed New Jersey that only allowed each person to purchase one handgun per day.
- Christie quoted: “We ARE the leader in Libya; we MUST be the world's police.” (June 2011)
- Christie has defended the Patriot Act, including one highly controversial portion of the law that allowed the government to investigate what materials people take out of public libraries. (2007)
- Christie is happy to rail against the Affordable Care Act like every other Republican, but when it came to decision time, he went along with the Medicaid expansion. He declined to set up a state-run exchange for the marketplace, meaning the Garden State is now contending with the error-riddled federal site.
- Christie invoked an old standby to criticize recent legislative activity like the narrow defeat of Justin Amash's amendment and Rep. Rush Holt's recently introduced bill to repeal the PATRIOT Act.
“As a former prosecutor who was appointed by President George W. Bush on Sept. 10, 2001, I just want us to be really cautious, because this strain of libertarianism that’s going through both parties right now and making big headlines, I think, is a very dangerous thought,” Christie said. Christie dismissed some of the current privacy/national security debates as "esoteric."
- The Hunt for Pufferfish: A Double Down Excerpt: During the 2012 presidential campaign, Mitt Romney ranked Chris Christie among the final contenders to be his running mate. That is until the Republican nominee started digging into the New Jersey governor’s record
For a list of other potential candidates: