Official DP Skill Acquisition ThreadSubmitted by Michael Nystrom on Thu, 01/23/2014 - 01:23
This is a spur from the Piano thread. This should be a new thread, because we started something new.
The Piano thread was the idea generation phase. We read an article and some of us got the idea that we could actually do it.
Thank God for women!
Anyone who would like to pick up a new skill is welcome here. Tell us what skill you want to acquire, and we'll go learning our respective skills in a systematic manner, as described in the Piano thread. while encouraging and helping one another achieve their goals.
If anyone would like to start a spur thread on a specific skill, that would be welcome also. Say someone here is going to do guitar, and they want to have their own "Learning Guitar" thread.
As for me, I'll be taking up the craft of writing. I do a lot of writing every day, but to say that I'm sloppy with my craft would be generous. I would like to put my attention there.
All Comers Welcome! See you down below.
- - -
Update: Ten Principles of Rapid Skill Acquisition, from the book The First 20 Hours
1. Choose a lovable project (one that you love!)
2. Focus your energy on one skill at a time.
3. Define your target performance level.
4. Deconstruct the skill into subskills.
5. Obtain critical tools
6. Eliminate barriers to practice
7. Make dedicated time for practice
8. Create fast feedback loops.
9. Practice by the clock in short bursts
10. Emphasize quantity and speed.
Watch the video on the Piano thread for more, or take a look at the book.