Top 10 Tips to Become a Better NegotiatorSubmitted by RobHino on Tue, 04/08/2014 - 08:49
I'm in the process of negotiating a lucrative contract, and found this video extremely helpful. I only wish I would have found it before starting the negotiation! I made a few rookie mistakes like putting out the first offer even though I was approached initially. I also negotiated myself off of a figure I was more comfortable with just because I thought they'd accept it faster. Now they're asking for free gifts! I also sliced up my proposal! Man, I really did lose some ground and leverage, BUT, I know they want and need my services very bad. I think I can regain the upper hand though now that I'm armed with these few pointers.
1. Don't Negotiate!
2. Never Negotiate with Yourself
3. Never Accept the First Offer
4. Never Make the First Offer
5. Listen More and Talk Less
6. No Free Gifts
7. Watch Out for the Salami Effect - Don't slice up your offer. Make a lump sum amount.
8. Avoid the Rookies Regret - What do my concessions cost me? What are my concessions worth to my adversary. If I know how much my concessions cost me, and how much they're worth to them, what do I want in return?
9. Never Make a Quick Deal
10. Never Disclose Your Bottom Line