US / Mexico Border Near Campo, CaliforniaSubmitted by C_T_CZ on Wed, 07/16/2014 - 19:24
My wife and I toured the US / Mexico border around 2006 while we lived in California. Given our current illegal immigration crisis, I thought I'd share these photos with you. What you see here is our actual border. Forget about the TSA and their little blue gloves and politely queued checkpoint lines you've experienced while travelling. That's just the fake security our government puts on for show.
Browse the photos below, you'll get a taste of the real deal.
Minuteman post with spotting scope at Patriot Point, adjacent to the border and the highest ground for several miles. USA territory is on the left.
Campo, California. 55 miles east of San Diego, and where the border fence ends.
The steel border fence is typically repaired by American volunteers, since the Border Patrol has no funds for upkeep. Still, numerous entry points are visible even in this small section.
A solitary American flag affixed by the Minutemen to the fence, with Mexico stretching to the horizon beyond.
Illegal border crossers tie cloth to their feet to obfuscate their tracks as they make entry into our country.
In some places, the border fence is only waist high.
In some places, the border fence is not even a fence, just a horizontally mounted pole.
Here is one section where the border fence ends.
The fence abruptly ends, marking the spot where money and political will could no longer justify construction.
A solitary border patrol vehicle, with an overwhelmingly large area to monitor.
Here the border fence is split where a large boulder interfered with sound construction.
Another gap in the fence.
Mexico stretches to the horizon beyond the fence gap. The whole area on the Mexico side is completely controlled by drug lords, who have total control over all drug and human smuggling.
Needles are scattered all over. Smugglers inject speed or meth so they can run for miles and quickly get beyond the immediate border area.
Yet another place where the border fence just ends...
And then picks up again....
Driving along the dirt road along the border, countless gaps exist in the fence and have been exploited countless times.
Yet another location where the fence just ends.
Here's a location where Mexican nationals were actually just driving their cars right through, so Minutemen and local ranchers erected some steel poles as makeshift barriers.
Patriot Point, in Campo, California. Our flag flies proudly on this high ground where Minutemen assist our border patrol in spotting illegal border crossers.
While these photos represent only a tiny fraction of our border, I hope it helps you to understand the scope of the issue we face.
After reading the comments on this thread, I thought some clarifications would be in order.
1) Dr. Paul does not support a border fence. Symbolically, I agree a border fence does not represent the idealism which best describes America. Or, at least America as I think of her.
2) Border fences do work if the measure of success is to reduce unwanted crossings. Objectively, it is well documented that illegal San Diego border crossings were reduced well over 90% when the fence was erected.
3) Border fences do not work if the measure of success is 100% impenetrability. Objectively, it is well documented that border fences all over the world have been breached by creative, motivated individuals.
4) A border fence can have a dual role. For example, we have military bases all over the country which have fences. A military base relocated to the border could have miles and miles of fences which safeguard both our military base as well as our country, and I think would be acceptable to a vast majority of Americans.
5) TSA strip searching grandmothers and children before air flights in the name of "safety" is patently absurd, given the obvious penetrability of our southern border.
I agree there is no easy solution to our border crisis. Personally, I have deep respect for The Good Doctor and tend to side with his opinions even if they are contrary to my own. He has proven to be the wisest person to pass through Washington in a long time and has earned my respect a thousand times over.