ATTENTION CALIFORNIANS! REAL ID PASSES BUT WE CAN VETO!Submitted by troy on Mon, 09/15/2008 - 15:36
The petition drive was a big success, however it is unfortunate that Pedro Nava's initiative to repeal the National ID Card did not gain a lot of traction.
Just last week, on Sept 10th, the Legislature actually passed the REAL ID card bill. It was called S.B. 60.
Now, it is of UTMOST importance that we call Governor Schwarzenegger's office and ask him to VETO this bill.
Please be polite and precise. Some talking points we can use.
- At least 17 states have passed legislation to one degree or another that opposes the implementation of REAL ID.
- More than 600 organizations opposed the passage of REAL ID.
- REAL ID converts state-issued driver licenses into tracking devices.
- REAL ID will not make our borders more secure. Immigrants don't have licenses anyway and the suspected terrorists on 9/11 used forged passports to gain entry, anyway.
- REAL ID could cost the State of California in the neighborhood of $500 million at the time when the state is trying to deal with a $14 billion budget deficit.
- REAL ID was passed without sufficient deliberation by Congress and *never* received a hearing by any congressional committee or any vote on its' own merit.
- It is *against* California's own Constitution that mandates that the state is to be in charge of issuing their licenses!
Please call and fax!
Voice phone calls to the governor's office: 916-445-2841
Fax number: 916-558-3160
VETO SB 60!
Send this pdf to friends: