Watching the way the ignorant religious "right" treated Ron Paul, made me write Tim Wildmon several times expressing my displeasure with his "packaged" religious comments.
I will let my pastor write the rest of this comment. His comments are below.
I am a pastor, have been for over 17 years, but this kind of talk is what I despise for the following reasons:
1) History proves that forced or pressured worship is the same thing as tyranny. Tyranny in a "robe" is still tyranny!
2) The Constitution requires the protection of the right to freely exercise (or not) ones religion (the duty you owe your Creator and the manner of discharging that duty). So if he wants to say that to his church (if he has one), that's fine, but he has no right to make such blanket statements to the general public except as a suggestion.
3) He does not define God. What God is it our patriotic duty to worship?
4) Worshiping God is a duty of the spirit and to truth. "God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth." John 4:24 Since we all inherited a dead spirit from Adam, we must be born again (spirit quickened, made alive), an event that occurs when we trust the Word of God regarding who God is and how He became flesh to pay the wages of sin for us, which is death, so He could justifiably forgive our sins. (To forgive without a just and equal payment of the penalty for the transgression is injustice, and God must be just.)
5) The patriotic duty of every American is to force the government and all its officials and reps to act within the constructs of the Constitution.
6) He gets the cart before the horse. That was tried by the Catholic "church" for centuries and led to persecution of those who disagreed.
While it can be construed by some that it is one's patriotic duty to worship God, several assumptions must be made first. Those assumptions cannot apply to everyone in a free society. Not even God forces people to worship Him! When are "Christians" going to learn?
Probably never in this life, which is why Jesus Himself will have to come and straighten out the mess left by so many who claim they know Him when they didn't.
I leave you with this warning to the religious crowd from Jesus Himself:
Matthew 7:22-23 Many will say to me in that day [judgement day], Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
[they are scared to death because they are facing judgment from God!]
23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
If they depart on judgment day, there's only one place for them - Hell!
And that's exactly where all phony, charlatan's who have misrepresented God should go!
End of Pastor's comment.
Check out his church's website. It ain't like anything you've ever seen.