I had a conversation with a friend of mine and we were discussing where we would like to live if it wasn't the US. Here are my top 15 reasons why:
1. It’s a democratic constitutional republic
2. No official religion, but religious freedom is guaranteed.
3. Church and state are officially separated.
4. The culture is strongly European, with 88% of population white.
5. The national dish is Asado, a kind of barbecued beef.
6. Beef is fundamental to Uruguayan cuisine and the country is one of the world’s top consumers of red meat per capita.
7. It is known for having the lowest rate of crime in Latin America.
8. Stable economy.
9. They don’t tax foreign source income.
10. Comfortable climate. 70-80 in the summer and 50-60 in the winter. Freezing temps are almost unknown.
11. Has never had an earthquake or a hurricane.
12. It has first world infrastructure. Good roads, safe drinking water, good public transportation, broad cell phone coverage, and high-speed internet.
13. Residency is pretty easy to obtain. Applying for residency in Uruguay includes a criminal background check, a health checkup, and a verification of a regular source of income, such as social security or a pension. The current income requirement is just 500 US dollars per month (considered the minimum amount a person can live on). New residents are allowed to bring in their household goods without duties or taxes.
14. You can go from the city to the countryside or the beach in less than 30 minutes.
15. Many Uruguayans speak English as a second language.
Want DP delivered to your inbox daily? Subscribe here:
Content of posts and comments on the Daily Paul represent the opinions of the original posters, and are not endorsed, approved, or otherwise representative of the opini