Comment: It's not that simple.

(See in situ)

It's not that simple.

Getting ones voting rights back is not just as simple as registering to vote after you got out. It's different in each state I'm sure, but in my state (WA) you have to get a Certificate of Discharge from the Dept. of Corrections. They don't just give it to you upon release, or upon completion of your community placement (parole). It's a hassle. In fact, when I got mine, one lady behind the glass had never heard of this before and had never seen a felon try and get one. Another lady was visibly pissed off and freaking out that I was getting one. She was intentionally trying to illicit an angry emotional response from me, so she could pull some "I feel threatened" crap.

Once I showed that I had completed my Judgment and Sentence including all legal financial obligations, I got the Certificate of Discharge. Then I was able to file the court papers, and I can't remember the names of those motions and orders and stuff or I'd post them. Unable to locate them atm.

I went before the judge by myself. I explained that I wanted to get my voting rights back so that I could become a delegate for Ron Paul in '08. I succeeded, but the judge tricked me into giving up my 2nd amendment to get back my 1st. I walked out of the court room with all of my rights restored except my 2nd amendment and I did become a delegate for Ron Paul.

Later I was studying on how to get my 2nd back, and I was taking my time, not wanting to screw it up. I got pulled over 1 night, and ended up with a reckless driving. You have to be free from any convictions including misdemeanors for 5 years.

Please, don't make the same mistakes I did. If you are going for your voting rights back, and you are actually eligible to get them ALL BACK, go for it right then and there! Read your States Constitution. The mistake I made was I read the U.S. Constitution the night before court. Had I read the Wa. State Constitution beforehand, I would have all of my rights back already.

Please consult an attorney. I've been able to do some cool stuff on my own or with little help in court before, but restoration of ones rights is not something you want to put your own pride before. I think many states have it written that the court "Shall", not "May", restore your rights if eligible, upon application that is. I wish every DP'er luck who attempts this. I hope to come back with more good news on this topic someday. I really appreciate what Rand is trying to do here. It hits home for me.